Wiring additional spotlights

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Gary.
80-90 Mem No: 15521

Wiring additional spotlights

Post by Gary. »

Just bought some original spots via this brilliant forum and about to look into wiring them in.

I have an additional fog light switch in the dash, which was there when I bought it, but has nothing connected.

What would be the simplest way of wiring up? Any pointers appreciated? Thanks.
Gary.

1990 Syncro doka (RHD), 1.6TD.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Wiring additional spotlights

Post by CovKid »

Well theres simple, but what you'll be up against is the limitations of the 6mm cable that feeds the fusebox. Given that 10v at headlights is not untypical on a totally stock T25, and most upgrade those to relays, you'd be well advised to follow suit on the spots. If you don't, you really push the stock wiring. I could suggest the right way to do it, but its not just a case of connecting the switch unfortunately, well, I wouldn't anyway.

Have a read anyway, perhaps it will explain why: http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/VW ... ry_to_dash" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A shortcut would be relays and a cable direct to battery (fused).

I mention all this as many owners struggle with poor lights and I see all kinds of attempts, including higher wattage bulbs etc in the hope of improving things but better cables and relays are really the answer. Anything else just cooks the harness ultimately.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

Additional ?

To be road legal in the UK, you must already have a foglight switch, and the stock T3 one (the ones I've seen anyway) already has connections for both front and rear lamps. So if you have a second one I recommend you remove it and use your existing switch for the front lamps and wire it as intended by VW.

The proper factory way to wire the front lamps (as they're 55W each) uses a relay in the relay plate. This is covered in the factory wiring diagrams.

BTW, 'spotlights' typically refers to additional main beam lamps, 'foglights' are different optically, and cast a low wide beam pattern only to be used when its foggy. The two are not interchangable.

PS. I have two Syncro's both have the standard 6mm wire to the relay plate, and all the wiring is in good condition. The head lights run via relays, and the performance is very good. I do not have front foglights. You may well find that wired as it left the factory, with wiring in good order, you also get perfectly adequate performance without having to resort to any significant changes.
Last edited by syncroandy on 19 Jul 2017, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Are sure there isn't a plug/socket already on your wiring loom,as you have no doubt noticed the spots i sold you already have a plug on the end of the wires.And the correct relay taped to one of the wires.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Gary.

Post by Gary. »

Thanks for everyone's replies, I'll investigate further today. Fog lights or spot lights, I don't know. I just want to be able to switch them on independently for extra bling :)

R0B wrote:Are sure there isn't a plug/socket already on your wiring loom,as you have no doubt noticed the spots i sold you already have a plug on the end of the wires.And the correct relay taped to one of the wires.

Yes I did, thanks. Where would they be on the wiring loom? I found a couple of rubber covered spade lugs behind the radiator panel, but can't figure out what feeds them (it had a winch once, so could have been for that).
Gary.

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Check behind the bottom grill for the connector.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

syncroandy
Trader

Post by syncroandy »

Gary, AFIAK both 'spotlights' (supplementary main beams) and 'foglight' (low-level lighting only to be used when foggy) must only be active when the headlights are on, to be compliant with construction and use regulations. The original wiring for these on the T3 is designed in this way.

I would strongly recommend you keep your vehicle legally compliant, with whatever modifications you may be considering.

Gary. wrote:Thanks for everyone's replies, I'll investigate further today. Fog lights or spot lights, I don't know. I just want to be able to switch them on independently for extra bling :)

R0B wrote:Are sure there isn't a plug/socket already on your wiring loom,as you have no doubt noticed the spots i sold you already have a plug on the end of the wires.And the correct relay taped to one of the wires.

Yes I did, thanks. Where would they be on the wiring loom? I found a couple of rubber covered spade lugs behind the radiator panel, but can't figure out what feeds them (it had a winch once, so could have been for that).
Syncrosport

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

Gary.

Post by Gary. »

Nothing behind grill or anything obvious under dash / behind glovebox.
Gary.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Did somebody say bling driving lamps?
Keep it legal.Image

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

nesty
80-90 Mem No: 4023

Post by nesty »

I have a 3 pairs of spotlights at the front on mine! Mostly angel eyes with spots.

I installed them years ago, as then going to scotland highlands (road with no lights at all)!

However, mine are powered via the Leisure traction batteries & wired via separate modern fusebox, heavy duty wiring and heavy duty switches, which can all hold the current.

These are my switches
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/p ... for-lights" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can have mylights on in a field (engine off etc), without fear of flattening my starter battery

The system works ok. Though at max only have any of the lights on at maybe 2 hours max at all.

However, if you were going to go more conventional wiring you must go via the relay route as the switches won't hold the power. 55w each lamp so for a pair you will be drawing 9 Amps. A bit of current there!
Holdsworth Villa2 1983 1.9 DG, 4 Speed, LPG & Petrol+underslung leisure tank

philyoung
80-90 Mem No: 15404

Post by philyoung »

Been trying to get my factory fitted front fog lights to work without success. 12v feed is from the relay plate (pretty substantial white wire) but on the switch at the back there is a smaller white wire and a black/yellow wire thats been cut off for some reason. Any idea where that black/yellow wire should be connected? I've scoured Bentley and gone cross eyed but cant figure it out. Thanks if anyone knows the answer.
1990 LHD 2.5WBX Syncro Krankenwagen

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Post by DoubleOSeven »

Spot Lamps

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic

syncroandy
Trader

Post by syncroandy »

To be compliant with construction and use regulations, front foglamps must be wired to only come on if the sidelights (or headlamps) are also on. On the T3 standard front foglamp wiring (eg. page 79/12 of this doc) this is done by the relay at position #7.

Similarly, to be legally compliant, auxiliary front spotlamps must be wired so as only to come with with the main beam lamps. They must extinguish with dipped beam. This could be done in a similar way to the foglamp relay, but using the main beam circuit (white, terminal 56a) for the relay trigger coil instead of the sidelight circuit (DIN terminal 58) used for relay #7.

The purpose of these regulations is to ensure that the safety of other road users is not put at risk by being dazzled by inappropriate lighting.

None of the wiring schemes described so far in this thread meet these requirements, and I would recommend the factory wiring scheme is followed.

That is all.
Syncrosport

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

philyoung
80-90 Mem No: 15404

Post by philyoung »

Thanks syncroandy but now I'm even more confused. My van came out of the factory with the front fog lamps (M659). They have a separate switch to the rear foglamp on the top right of the binnacle which doesnt seem to fit with the wiring diagram you linked to. Did VW have more than one arrangement?

Phil

E D I T - must have been having a brain fart when I looked at this on Sunday. Just realised the fog lamp switch is two position; first turns on the front fog lamps and the second the rear. So now I have an extra light switch that doesnt seem to do anything....
1990 LHD 2.5WBX Syncro Krankenwagen