Leisure battery/electric problems

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jlilford
80-90 Mem No: 15934

Leisure battery/electric problems

Post by jlilford »

Hi all,

So my partner and I are based in South London and we bought our van a couple of months ago, it's a 1980 2l Aircooled Danbury pop top (used to be an auto roof, but sadly no longer). There are a number of things which need fixing and we plan to tackle them in the coming months and years. Before we bought it it was stood for a while so we took it for a service (leaky fuel pump, inlet pipes, leaky clutch master cylinder, exhaust hole, oil and filter changes, servo pipes and new fuel lines all done) and it runs a lot better now.

On our first camping trip, we realised the leisure battery was not working - I have reconnected it and changed the fuses in the Zig (CF6) unit. The battery indicator doesn't seem to work and it did when we were connected to 240v hook up. It looks like the water pump and lights are the only things connected and only one of the lights works (might be running off the main battery), the cigarette lighter (for phone charging) also does not work. There is a late 3-way fridge, which has been adapted to run off the cigarette lighter rather than connected via 12v, but we also could not get this going on gas or 12v.

I have limited mechanical and electrical knowledge, but am very keen to learn. I bought a multimeter to try and fault-find as has been recommended on here - question is, where do I begin? Check the fuses in the main fuse box? What voltage should the leisure battery read when flat/charging?

Any advice appreciated, I have found that these forums have already offered some great tips!

Thanks,

James
Attachments
van 1.jpg
van 1.jpg (103.52 KiB) Viewed 2380 times
1980 2 litre Aircooled Danbury conversion

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: Leisure battery/electric problems

Post by AngeloEvs »

If the equipment that should run of the leisure battery is not working then I would be tracing the lead from the leisure battery positive terminal and looking for a fuse. It may be an in line type or it may be in a mounted holder.

Normally, the leisure battery positive goes to the CF6 via an external fuse. The cable then connects to the CF6 and to the switch on the front panel marked On - Off.. The switch then feeds the three fuses on the CF6 front panel. All connections to and from the CF6 are on the rear (except for the 240v mains supply).
Last edited by AngeloEvs on 12 Jul 2017, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

jlilford

Post by jlilford »

Ok great Angelo, thanks for that. I will have a go at seeing if/where the fuse is and report back. Hopefully it hasn't been messed with too much, but who knows what the previous owners have changed...

garyd
80-90 Mem No: 2934

Post by garyd »

quote: What voltage should the leisure battery read when flat/charging?

With the engine running and after a short journey, the leisure battery should read about 14 volts. The engine battery should be the same.

After switching off and allowing maybe an hour to let things settle you should see about 12.6 volts.

Easy check for charging or not is to take a reading on the leisure battery before starting the engine and again a few minutes after starting. If the voltage has jumped up you'll know it is charging.
Garyd

1990 Transporter syncro camper
2 litre AGG 'GTi' engine

jlilford

Post by jlilford »

Thanks Gary, just what I needed. Will give it a go this weekend I think. Went out in the van this eve and slightly more seriously got a fuel leak somewhere above the tank - it leaked before when the tank was full, but now it's only quarter full, think might have to get the mechanic to drop the tank...

jlilford

Post by jlilford »

Got a chance to test the battery - got a reading of 2.30 so I'm guessing that means it's absolutely knackered - the engine battery was reading 12.4. Don't think the leisure battery has been used recently and who knows how old it is. When running there was no change so I have a feeling the wiring has been messed with - even if the battery is knackered would it go up a little if charging? Found a relay and intact fuse just behind the battery, but some of the wiring looks like it's been altered... thanks!

AngeloEvs

Post by AngeloEvs »

Not ever come across a lead acid battery that low in V across terminals. If that is the correct reading then I doubt you can save it. Unlike starter batteries, leisure batteries are designed to cope with heavy discharge but is yours a starter battery or a leisure battery? Which ever, a reading that low suggests it is dead.

jlilford

Post by jlilford »

Yeah I thought the reading was wrong, but the starter battery gave 12.4 on the same settings. It could be a starter battery rather than leisure, will check when I'm out. Even with the battery that dead, should there be a slight increase in output when the car is running if charge system is working? Hard to know what previous owners have done to the wiring, might have to get mechanic to check it over when it's in next.

On a better note, had a look behind the cigarette lighter and the wire had been disconnected/cut so put that back in and that now works :)

AngeloEvs

Post by AngeloEvs »

Not sure I would risk a battery that low being connected to my alternator. Normally, the battery for leisure equipment is charged using a relay that activates when the ignition is on. However, you have CF6 zig charger and one of the switches is marked Touring/On Site. That switch should be set to Touring to enable charging whilst driving. Some conversions have that switch connected to the split charge relay but some (e.g early Autohomes) do not have a split charge relay and simply use that switch to link the charge to the leisure battery via a fuse.

jlilford

Post by jlilford »

Yeah going to have to get a new battery - I have tried putting it on touring, but none of the charging lights come on and the reading from the battery did not change (with engine running after a drive). There seems to be a little delay and fuse just behind the leisure battery so guess someone fitted that themselves...