ht leads and misfire while in france

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Shaundon
80-90 Mem No: 9386

ht leads and misfire while in france

Post by Shaundon »

Have a random misfire on a 1.9 petrol wbx, sometimes backfires. Checked the HT leads and they seemed to be out of range ie several Mega ohms instead of the 6K ohms they were supposed to be.

Bought a new set from euro car parts and they were all in range so fitted them and it seemed to fix the problem. Then the misfire returned again a few weeks later.

Just checked the new HT leads i fitted and they are all out of range , one doesnt even seem to have any connection between the two ends!!
Yet it still runs - although badly....

Can the HT leads go so quickly? Am i missing something?

Help please
1984 1.9 petrol wbx DH with a pierburg carb , LHD westfalia club joker.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: ht leads and misfire while in france

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Back in the days when I played with spark ignition engines used to get long leads bouncing and pulling the end connections out. The weight of a long lead moving about can soon do this. Securing the leads with insulated clamp/whatever would cure it once the end connections were re-made. I haven't a clue as to how the end connectors are fitted nowadays though.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Shaundon

Post by Shaundon »

these ones seem to be sealed on somehow - tried jiggling them etc.

i dont really understand how they could fail so quickly - but ive tried two testers on them and they definitely are not conducting. The box they came in did looking rather cheap looking and i'd never heard of the brand though!

Shaundon

Post by Shaundon »

Well , massive thanks to Brickwerks who got new HT leads to me in France within 24 hours!

On the van and been for a test drive and all looking good so far....

Fingers crossed we can enjoy the holiday now.

S.

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

As with many parts available for our vans, there seems to be a very large amount of very poor quality components that are sold as OEM, HT leads seem to fall into this category. Look for original BERU or BOSCH.
As a side note* the leads themselves are old fashioned multi stranded copper and as such very rarely fail...its the suppressed ends (the spark plug cap and DIN connectors to the distributor) that seem to be the weak point. These have built in 5K OHM resistors to minimise radio and television interference.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV