Starter battery drained - Split Charge?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: Starter battery drained - Split Charge?

Post by kevtherev »

This happened to me..
It was discovered that the split charge relay got stuck.
And permenantly connected the twp batteries.
A new relay sorted that out
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Dubworth
80-90 Mem No: 16562

Post by Dubworth »

kevtherev wrote:This happened to me..
It was discovered that the split charge relay got stuck.
And permenantly connected the twp batteries.
A new relay sorted that out

Thanks. I think the plan of action now is to strip the old setup out and fit new, going to take the opportunity to run better gauge cable and a better sensing relay.
1985 Sheldon High Top 1.9DF

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

Are you sure you want a VSR....... I'm happier with old school simple relay
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Post by tforturton »

Unless you've changed it, the cigarette lighter socket would normally run off the main starter battery.
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

Dubworth

Post by Dubworth »

tforturton wrote:Unless you've changed it, the cigarette lighter socket would normally run off the main starter battery.

Yep, all set to run off the leisure in this one, I believe the other half had it plugged into a 2-prong type power socket into a cig light adapter as well, which also draws from leisure.

In regards to a sensing relay, I've been having a good look over the setup in my friends van with a similar install, I must say it looks a lot better than the 'homebrew' looking setup I currently have, so I can only see it being an improvement :)

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

937carrera wrote:Are you sure you want a VSR....... I'm happier with old school simple relay
I like simplicity and in this case this is the best and most simplistic way.
Fancy dan electronics tend to fall over with heavy work

My old relay was 30 years old before it stuck
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

VW's motto of "Nothing is reliable as a volkswagen" (annoyingly and inappropriately used post-vdub) came out of its original approach to keeping everything simple on the classic beetle. Less to go wrong. I too favour a simple relay for split charging. Cheap to replace if they do ever go wrong and they give many years of service. Last one I bought was a nice 80amp Bosch relay on a boot sale for £1.

Fortunately the few of us making mods also stick to simpler and easy/cheap to replace components too. Keep it simple.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Dubworth

Post by Dubworth »

Well, everything is now in, however, this highlighted another issue...despite my alternator putting out around 14v charge, I'm down to 13v by the time I'm at the starter battery...not enough to activate the 13.3v for the VSR. I've rigged up something with a more traditional relay for now to get me charging for a trip this coming weekend, however, this does send me down the rabbit hole of examining/cleaning/replacing cables when I return, I imagine I have some rather old and crusty wiring and connectors sapping the power. Off to the search function I go :)

On a side note. I currently have an early (with connector), 45amp alternator. Is there any merit to upgrading to the 65amp that Brickwerks stock in this fitment? I'm not against spending the money for the good of the van if it will benefit it. At the same time, if it doesn't need it, I'll keep hold of my beer tokens ;)

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Try changing regulator for a 14.5v rather than the 14v one as an interim measure. Otherwise: http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/VW ... ain_cables" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Standard relay good, VSR bad :)

As well as the + side, have a look at the battery / engine earths, if they are crusty it can have the same effect.

On the alternator, the bigger one will recharge your battery quicker, at the expense of a very small amount of drag on engine power, something only a modern manufacturer would worry about for statutory fuel efficiency tests. Check if it has the 14.5v regulator in already.

Dubworth

Post by Dubworth »

As always, thank you for your help gents. I'll ask the question about the voltage reg, I notice Brickwerks sell the 14.5v items as well, so may as well upgrade the new alternator with one if I'm going this far. Must say, as a 'DF' owner, 'drag on engine power' scares me a tiny bit, I've not got much to start with! hah

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

I wasn't going to mention the DF engine, but don't worry, it's not a lot, here's some maths

45A * 14v = 630W
65A * 14v = 910W

0.28 kW or 0.37 HP maximum, ignoring conversion efficiency, you're not going to notice it.

See if BW will sell you the alternator (by email) with the 14.5v regulator already fitted, they will be able to sell the 14v one to someone else, keep hold of a few beer tokens

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

It could just simply be a faulty regulator anyway. Certainly the cheapest fix and best to try that first.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Dubworth wrote:Well, everything is now in, however, this highlighted another issue...despite my alternator putting out around 14v charge, I'm down to 13v by the time I'm at the starter battery...not enough to activate the 13.3v for the VSR.

Just put the VSR near to the alternator where there is v. little voltage drop! Why have it at the other end - laziness? :D
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶