12v + Feed when ignition on

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

gollfy
80-90 Mem No: 14123

12v + Feed when ignition on

Post by gollfy »

Hi,

Im trying to wire up a positive feed for a clock and require one that provides 12v when the ignition is on only. I have had my tester round the wires to the ignition and they seem to provide 12v constantly. Anyone know of a feed that is provided only when the ignition is on?

Cheers for your help

Dave

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: 12v + Feed when ignition on

Post by CovKid »

Take it from the fusebox
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

^^^^^ WHS ^^^^^^
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

>85 ceramic fusebox: see if there's a spare 1/4" blade at the back on fuses 11 or 12 (black wires) *
85> blade fusebox: see if either G1 or G2 are available on back/right near the top

* the feed from the ignition switch is the lower connection

Use a *black* wire when making a connection to ignition on a VW. Not red, brown, blue...
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Post by Jim San »

How do you add additional wiring?

Probably a really daft question (i'm trying to install a ignition on 12v feed for a dash cam & sat nav) but how do you add the wiring? I'm not going to use scotch blocks!
The back o the fuse box all seems to be block connectors - so splicing seems to be the obvious way but its so crowded in there i'm checking options. A tidy way would be nice :)

Also - fuse 11 (I think) is rear wiper - I don't have one on the van so thought it could be an option. Its fused and live but it isn't a black wire (so I guess will be interrupted by ignition start etc). It is part of a compact block connector and even trying to establish exactly which wire goes to that fuse is difficult.

It's probably pretty obvious i'm no sparky , :run
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

My write up in the WIKI on upgrading the feed to the stock fusebox which is only 6mm, allows yout to move the heavy stuff (like headlights, fans etc) to a new mini fusebox. This then frees up the stock one for all those dash accessories we like to add these days.

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/VW ... ry_to_dash" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Post by Jim San »

CovKid wrote:My write up in the WIKI on upgrading the feed to the stock fusebox which is only 6mm, allows yout to move the heavy stuff (like headlights, fans etc) to a new mini fusebox. This then frees up the stock one for all those dash accessories we like to add these days.

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/VW ... ry_to_dash" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've read the write up and it makes total sense about being a sensible thing to do. I have the battery in th eengine and the alternator and earth cables are upgraded. I have done a system like this with the leisure batteries by locating a fused junction box under the dash so I dont have multiple wires routed under the seats.
Your wrote up on the instalation is clear apart from the bit where you swap things from one system to the other -is this really obvious and so basic it hardly needs saying? am i being stupid?
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Yep - becomes obvious once its all in. I couldn't cover that specifically as each vehicle is different, but you basically do one line at a time.

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

Jim San wrote:How do you add additional wiring?

Jim, there are several single 1/4" blade connectors on the back of the fusebox, for both battery and ignition. They are designated P.. and G.. as mentioned in my post above. Just crimp a 1/4" terminal onto your wire and plug it on. Simples.
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004