1st Hazard lights and now indicators not working.

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Campermad
80-90 Mem No: 16015

1st Hazard lights and now indicators not working.

Post by Campermad »

My hazard flasher has never worked but after taking dashboard out for other reasons ive had many electical issues.
Ive check earth crowns and cleaned those that needed it. All fuses are good. Checked in situ with multimeter

Initially Indicators worked until engine was on, then headlights flashed with indicator selection.

Then after massive parasitic drain from somewhere,( ????) and a battey discharge tjen a recharge my indicators dont work at all. No relay click but the tell tale light on the dash lights up when stalk is moved up or down.

Theres been so much carve up of the wiring looms on the bus and im not clever enough to follow a wiring diagram not that it would be representative of my 1985 1.9 dg

Anyway i checked the voltage to the relay when lights are on and stalk pushes up or down - white wire 49a- was .5volts. And green/black wire 49 was 10v
So some voltage loss somewhere.

I disconnected the relay and noticed it rattled.

So...my question is Do relays rattle ??? And could this relay #21 be the root of all my evil ??

Warm regards

Lisa

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Campermad

Re: 1st Hazard lights and now indicators not working.

Post by Campermad »

Anyone know what this relay is hidden away up way behind the fuse box ? Also Looks like there are wires going to an empty spaceImageImage

Da dan
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Da dan »

There is the fan relay there and another but I don't know what for???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

unused on mine too - forget those. If you've got bullet fuses, NEVER assume they're ok by look alone. They can sometimes develop a hairline crack in the metal part and although it looks ok, its no longer making a connection. Best remove and check relevant fuse.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Campermad

Post by Campermad »

Thank you for reaponse...i will ignore those relays. Billlet fuses are fine as ive checked the resistance using multimeter.
Ive traced wires and all indicator buld work and the live to all of them is good ..used multimeter and and test wires .

Im now worried about the stalk or flasher switch - does anyone know a test i can do with multimeter ? Test wires etc to test the stalk and the feed into the flasher swtich?

richlaz
80-90 Mem No: 10937

Post by richlaz »

I'm not sure about testing the stalk, but the hazard switch should be quite straight forward to test.

Once the cover is unclipped from the top of your instrument cluster, the hazard switch can be unclipped (or there might be enough space to test without removing the switch).

You could either test with volts, keeping one lead on Earth, and I believe there should be a permanent 12v feed to the switch, then a "switched" 12v output, depending if the switch is pressed or not.

Or, you could test on resistance... between the correct couple of contacts, you should either have an open circuit, or a closed circuit (again, depending on the switch being pressed or not)

Unfortunately I don't have my Haynes manual to hand, so can't give you the wire terminal numbers :(

Also carry out visual inspection of the crimp connections on the rear of the switch, incase they're a bit corroded or loose etc

It's a bit hard to diagnose, random behaviour is often caused by an Earth fault... However, you say that the headlights flashed when switching the indicator stalk... this could be a faulty stalk/switch (as the main beam switch is on the indicator stalk) But that doesn't explain why your hazards don't work :run
1984 1.9 DG Westfalia Sport Joker

Campermad

Post by Campermad »

Im using this wiring diagram to help me.

I have found that
Red/white wires are permenent live 12v
Blue/black wire is 12v when ignition is on first key turn
Black/green/white wire is 10v when no turn is selected and goes to zero volts when either right or left turn is selected
White is .5 volts and goes to zero volts when turn is selected
White/black (left) always 0 volts
Green/black (right) always zero volts
Any ideas??Image

Campermad

Post by Campermad »

Opened switch and i ws wondering of there should be some kind of metal in there to make and break connections?ImageImageImage

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Indicator/flasher circuits are one of the most frustrating when they go wrong - not helped by the often stock answer of "check your earths", even if well meaning. However, I'd say you're in danger here of departing from the AA style of diagnosis and losing track in the process. If it were me I'd swap out relevant relays for known good ones so you can at least rule those out, then whats left (if anything) is likely to be the culprit. Its difficult for anyone from afar to follow what you're doing but given that the hazards have never worked, I'd nail those first since they're interconnected with the latest failure.

The later Haynes type diagrams are not overly helpful when working on these circuits. Certainly with hazard/indicator ones, the earlier 72-ish Beetle diagram is a lot easier to follow since its colour coded and crucially, uses the same colours on these vehicles too. I have a laminated copy tucked in the back of my manual for such moments. Its has often saved the day, or at least sped up fault finding by an hour or so :)

This type of thing https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/in ... per_72.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ofcourse its not identical to a T25 diagram, but you can quickly grasp what each coloured wire is related to. That much did not change. Do source some known good hazard.flasher relays to start with though.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Surely it would be logical to replace the non functioning switch before going any further?
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Campermad

Post by Campermad »

Thank you.covkid ill digest that wiring diagram. .i want somewhere to find out what the voltage change should be when the stalk pushed up/down. The led on the dash lights up when left/ right is selected so some signal os getting sent.
ive replaced relay 21in the fuse box no change...next is a new flasher switch..failing im so tempted to wire from scratch and ignore whats there. (For the flashers/ indicators only)
I dont want to take stalk of unless i have to..the low/high beam all work as it should.

I well keep updating thread as it may help someone else in the future
Lisa

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Yup, as Oldie says, change out hazard switch. Don't give up just yet :)

Campermad

Post by Campermad »

I was hoping someone could confirm that switch doesnt look right? Ive cant find any pics on the internet to show what a good one looks like?

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

To be honest, if they're faulty they just get replaced. Not many bother to repair them (including me). Ask in wanted section for a good S/H one.

richlaz
80-90 Mem No: 10937

Post by richlaz »

Also bear in mind that there are 6 pin and 7 pin hazard switches... Just to confuse the situation :shock:
1984 1.9 DG Westfalia Sport Joker