Solar panel fitting

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

alank950
80-90 Mem No: 0

Solar panel fitting

Post by alank950 »

I am looking at possibly fitting a solar panel kit to my van.Its a high top and i was wondering if there are any kits on the market where i can mount a panel to the side of the van using the rain duct ..failing this i have room on the top for a flexi kit although i was informed by Dan from campervan culture that they are less efficient...
1985 1.6D

shepster
80-90 Mem No: 1342

Re: Solar panel fitting

Post by shepster »

Whole load of info here.....................http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=127964" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2.1 DJ running on carb and LPG.

alank950
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by alank950 »

Thanks!
1985 1.6D

shepster
80-90 Mem No: 1342

Post by shepster »

I have the setup that's on the opening post, I know a few others who have the same and they've been fine for years.

They are a fair bit cheaper now too.
2.1 DJ running on carb and LPG.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Flexis are great. No chance of cracked glass, very light, no need to drill holes, they don't offer any wind resistance, and you don't really get water sat on them. I've got two and fitting a third soon. Its almost pointless (once fitted) on noting solar readings either as you can pretty much fit and forget.

Not noticed much difference between rigid and flexi ones in terms of output but my approach (given that flexis are so cheap now) has been to fit more than I need for redundancy. I once drove to work and back with batteries only being charged by solar - wasn't a problem. With the overkill approach it also means winter charging is sufficient to keep batteries trickle charged when its parked.

Both are good but as I had a tintop, flexi was way to go.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.