JX alternator fault

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Fatfranky
80-90 Mem No: 15423

JX alternator fault

Post by Fatfranky »

Hi

Can anyone help, I recently did an engine overhaul on my bus, the engine was out for a couple of months and foolishly I left the alternator lying on the ground open to the elements.

When I've put it all back together the alternator light was constantly on and the Rev counter did not work unless I revved it really hard ( like 4000 rpm) then it perked into life, but as soon as the revs dropped light comes back on and rev counter goes back to zero.

Prior to the rebuild, the alternator light would stay on and the Rev counter wouldn't work till the throttle was briefly blipped, but then stayed off, and charged fine.

An auto electrician colleague years ago told me that the only thing that ever goes wrong with Bosch alternators is the Regulator/brush holder, so I replaced it with a Brickwerks one.

Now the problem stays the same except that if I Rev to 4000 rpm the Rev counter works the first time but not the subsequent times, also when revving the engine there is some belt squeal, belts seems reasonably tight but I will try tightening them later( it was getting dark at the time)

Can anyone offer any advice?

Many thanks

Frank
1989 Westfalia California TD