Split charge relay wire

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

kezza87
80-90 Mem No: 15492

Split charge relay wire

Post by kezza87 »

Hi Guys, I finally got around to wiring up all the split charge stuff in my van. I used the original relay switch wire (green) that went to the zig relay under the drivers seat.
My van is or was an autohomes conversation, it seems that the relay activates as soon as the ignition is on rather than when the engine is running.

Is this normal? Will it cause me any problems with my leisure battery?

Thanks

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk
1986 1.9DG WBX (was Autohomes High top)

Bubble Meister
80-90 Mem No: 4246

Re: Split charge relay wire

Post by Bubble Meister »

Yes, as long as the battery warning light is on before starting. Traditional systems use the battery warning system (normally the blue / Small) wire coming out of the alternator). Modern Voltage Sensitive Relays monitor the driving battey voltage, if it's below the charging voltage the relay cuts out.
Introducing Bubble, the B reg '85, 1.9 DF WBX (currently with a DG fitted!)

kezza87

Post by kezza87 »

ok thanks for your reply, does this mean that the leisure battery will still be connected on cranking the engine though? also if for example the main beam lights are on without the engine running the power will be taken from both batteries as well?

maybe I will just invest in a voltage sensitive relay.

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

kezza87 wrote: My van is or was an autohomes conversation, it seems that the relay activates as soon as the ignition is on rather than when the engine is running.

Is this normal

Yes, if it is still wired correctly the relay should switch off whilst you are starting the engine.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

nevill3
80-90 Mem No: 8062
Location: UK Lake District, Early 1.6D CS now 4 speed gearbox

Post by nevill3 »

I have just found this old post, and replied to your other post. The green wire you mention is not the trigger wire for the relay normally but the live feed from the alternator which is in turn joined to your starter battery too. The green wire should go to one side of your relay that is isolated from the leisure battery until the relay is triggered. The relay has inside it an electro magnetic switch, when it receives 12v it connects both sides of the relay together allowing the live feed to be connected to the output terminal/wire that goes to your leisure battery. The trigger wire is normally blue, if you have wired the green wire as the trigger wire your batteries will become connected when the ignition is turned on but no engine running.
1983 1.6D cs PopTop Camper

Baysbrown Farm Campsite, Lake District

kezza87

Post by kezza87 »

Thanks for your reply. so should I be using the green wire as a trigger wire? or should I install another wire (blue) back from the alternator as a trigger?

nevill3
80-90 Mem No: 8062
Location: UK Lake District, Early 1.6D CS now 4 speed gearbox

Post by nevill3 »

Without seeing your exact setup I couldn't say which wire you should use as the trigger. I have a Homebrew camper style conversion and have never seen an Autohomes set up.

You could test the green wire to see when it becomes "live", as a trigger wire it should have no voltage when the ignition switch is off or just turned on but no engine running, it should only have a voltage when the alternator is charging. I have a blue wire that works this way and a thick green wire that acts as the live feed into my split-charge relay. I think this is the normal colouring but obviously in the lifetime of your van wires could have been replaced or upgraded.

the wiki has an article on setting things up......http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Ca ... it_charger
1983 1.6D cs PopTop Camper

Baysbrown Farm Campsite, Lake District

kezza87

Post by kezza87 »

I seem to have basically the same set up as diagram 3 on the link you provided, except connected to 86 on the relay is a green wire that comes form behind the van fuse box somewhere. the green wire definitely becomes live as soon as ignition is on but disconnects when engine is turning (load reduction relay) and then reconnects when engine is running. I assume this set up is ok as long as I don't leave the ignition on in the van?

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

kezza87 wrote:I seem to have basically the same set up as diagram 3 on the link you provided, except connected to 86 on the relay is a green wire that comes form behind the van fuse box somewhere. the green wire definitely becomes live as soon as ignition is on but disconnects when engine is turning (load reduction relay) and then reconnects when engine is running. I assume this set up is ok as long as I don't leave the ignition on in the van?
That is how Autohomes wired them, the green wire is ignition switched from the load reduction relay it should switch off whilst starting the engine. VW wired it like that as well but a different way.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow