What distributor is this?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Re: What distributor is this?

Post by ajsimmo »

Also what side of the diaphragm do I connect the inlet manifold to? as there is two ports, one each side.

The dizzy in your first pic looks to be SVDA (single vacuum port)??? Have you got another dizzy?
The fuel injected DJ has a dual vac dizzy which has, er, dual vac, but that relies on a constant vac signal from the plenum for retard, and a ported vac signal from the throttle body for advance. (Thus, as soon as you open the throttle, the advance vac signal is created and cancels/overcomes the idle retard signal, instantly snapping the timing forward about 12 deg. As you won't have this facility on the carb (no ported signal from throttle, just a single permanent vac), you're better off with a DG dizzy (SVDA electronic).

Top Tip - Don't let any Aircooled stuff anywhere near your watercooled engine. (At least it wasn't a 009!)
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

AIR_CHILLED
80-90 Mem No: 15708

Post by AIR_CHILLED »

ajsimmo wrote:
Also what side of the diaphragm do I connect the inlet manifold to? as there is two ports, one each side.

The dizzy in your first pic looks to be SVDA (single vacuum port)??? Have you got another dizzy?
The fuel injected DJ has a dual vac dizzy which has, er, dual vac, but that relies on a constant vac signal from the plenum for retard, and a ported vac signal from the throttle body for advance. (Thus, as soon as you open the throttle, the advance vac signal is created and cancels/overcomes the idle retard signal, instantly snapping the timing forward about 12 deg. As you won't have this facility on the carb (no ported signal from throttle, just a single permanent vac), you're better off with a DG dizzy (SVDA electronic).

Top Tip - Don't let any Aircooled stuff anywhere near your watercooled engine. (At least it wasn't a 009!)

Thanks for your reply and just the answers I was looking for!

I have since changed the distributor over to a DJ version as I thought the timing curve would match the engine but as you rightly pointed out it is a dual vac advance.

I was having another go at setting the timing tonight and it was already spot on, I then connected the vacuum back up and reset the idle and as before it ran rough so I suspected the other port needed to be used for something!

[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016111 ... c59d88.jpg[/img]

Here's how I have it connected at the moment, do you think for now I should connect the vacuum hose to the other side (assuming to advance timing as per Aircooled single vac can)

Would there be any way at all of using this distributor on my carburettor set-up?

And.... will a DG distributor match the timing curve for a 2.1 DJ?

P.S the previous owner stuck that Aircooled thing on there.

Thanks again,

Mike.
1988 Vanagon GL Westfalia Syncro (2wd to 4wd conversion)
1992 Golf II Syncro Country 

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Your vac hose is connected to the wrong side of the can. It will run horribly like that.
Are you setting timing to 10°? If so, don't forget you should also use super petrol (97/98ron). It may pink on standard.
I see you're using an electric fuel pump. If it's the original injection one, it is too powerful for the carb needle valve. It would need a regulator in line, or a lower pressure pump.
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

AIR_CHILLED
80-90 Mem No: 15708

Post by AIR_CHILLED »

ajsimmo wrote:Your vac hose is connected to the wrong side of the can. It will run horribly like that.
Are you setting timing to 10°? If so, don't forget you should also use super petrol (97/98ron). It may pink on standard.
I see you're using an electric fuel pump. If it's the original injection one, it is too powerful for the carb needle valve. It would need a regulator in line, or a lower pressure pump.

Hi, switched the vacuum hose over to the other side this morning and drove to work, no change which is odd!? (diaphragm holds pressure when sucked on)
Should I block off the other side as it is a differential bellows?

I set timing to 5 degrees BTDC at 800 rpm (vac disconnected)
What is full advance when everything is reconnected?

Original injection fuel pump is disconnected and a low pressure pump is fitted.

Thanks.
1988 Vanagon GL Westfalia Syncro (2wd to 4wd conversion)
1992 Golf II Syncro Country 

Neil74
80-90 Mem No: 15321

Post by Neil74 »

Hi Air_Chilled
I know this was nearly a year ago. But did you ever sort out which distributor to run?
I am going to be fitting a 2.1 Dj in my van and running it on the pierburg carburettor.
And not sure if it is best to use the original Dj distributor or the Dg distributor??
Cheers for any help.
1986 2.1 DJ with a pierburg Camper

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

When fitting a carb to a 2.1 wbx, use the DG single vac distributor and ignition loom.
That's it.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk