Which Distributor for a CU Engine

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Enternent
80-90 Mem No: 0

Which Distributor for a CU Engine

Post by Enternent »

I have a two ltr CU petrol, idle ignition stabilisation unit and a Bosch Dual Vacuum Dual Advance Hall impulse distributor with a worn shaft currently. I can't find a distributor for sale on the usual VW special sites that looks like mine however can find lots of SVDA without the Hall sender which is rather worrying. Just Kampers has one that all 2100cc T25s with MV, SR and SS engine codes from 1986 to 1992 with no mention of CU at a scary £149. I have spent hours today looking online and my heads done in with the choices. I recall seeing someone selling replacement shafts however at I am looking for some advice on what sort of options do I have please for choice of distributor and ancillaries wise please i.e. if I go down the road of a SVDA would my stabilization unit be redundant? Help

cassandra
80-90 Mem No: 15531

Re: Which Distributor for a CU Engine

Post by cassandra »

Hi, try this:- http://www.ignitioncarparts.co.uk/PartD ... 293&s_vid=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps
1981 Eurec Cassandra 2.0 CU RHD!
BMW R Nine T Scrambler.
ETC

mr_nunn
80-90 Mem No: 14273

Post by mr_nunn »

cassandra wrote:Hi, try this:- http://www.ignitioncarparts.co.uk/PartD ... 293&s_vid=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps

My understanding is that the DVDA is no longer available. I suspect the one linked above is single vac, going on the image.
1981 2.0L CU Westfalia pop-top

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

The second vac is purely for emissions, retarding the ignition at idle and very low loads. You must therefore use the correct port for the vac advance bellows

What matters though is the correct centrifugal advance curve and total vacuum advance so try to get the correct spec dizzy. People will sell/tell you anything! regardless of the suitability of the internals.

Read up on our Wiki...lots of info there on CU dizzies and pipework etc.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

treblezero

Post by treblezero »

HarryMann wrote:The second vac is purely for emissions, retarding the ignition at idle and very low loads. You must therefore use the correct port for the vac advance bellows

What matters though is the correct centrifugal advance curve and total vacuum advance so try to get the correct spec dizzy. People will sell/tell you anything! regardless of the suitability of the internals.

Read up on our Wiki...lots of info there on CU dizzies and pipework etc.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

RE Link to https://www.ignitioncarparts.co.uk/Part ... 293&s_vid=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So it transpires it is a single vac model (after a quick phone call). However, if I was to swap the twin vac (DVDA) off my old dizzy will this do the job or will it need a bit more work other than a straight swap out?
I've attached a couple of pics of my dizzy with the repair kit from Brickwerks installed... Hopefully this will work but if not I need a plan B

Reading on http://www.Aircooled.net/vw-distributor-options/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“DVDA = Dual Vacuum, Dual Advance Distributor. The same as the SVDA, but also has a Vacuum RETARD port. One vacuum port is for advance, the other is for an idle retard, which improved emissions a lot!”
Attachments
1980_2lt_AC_CU_DVDA_DIZZY.jpg
1980 2lt Aircooled [CU] DVDA DIZZY
(126.87 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
1980 Air Cooled (CU) Danbury. Purchased in 2006. Fave destination: Northumberland Coast.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Should be straight swap (all being well). Just never be persuaded by anyone that a 009 crappo distributor is suitable. :D
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

treblezero

Post by treblezero »

Nice one!

Does anyone have any suggestions/tricks/tips as to how I can remove a stubborn gudgeon pin holding on the end plate at the bottom of the dizzy Shaft? My previous pic also shows a detail of the piece of shim/washer (brittle) that fell out the bottom when replacing the hall sensor. As a result there's perhaps more play in the end plate than there should be? But removing that pin without doing significant damage to the components is proving near impossible.
1980 Air Cooled (CU) Danbury. Purchased in 2006. Fave destination: Northumberland Coast.

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

treblezero wrote:Nice one!

Does anyone have any suggestions/tricks/tips as to how I can remove a stubborn gudgeon pin holding on the end plate at the bottom of the dizzy Shaft? My previous pic also shows a detail of the piece of shim/washer (brittle) that fell out the bottom when replacing the hall sensor. As a result there's perhaps more play in the end plate than there should be? But removing that pin without doing significant damage to the components is proving near impossible.

They often need pressing out. If it was the fibre washer the Bosch part number is 1230107011 sit before you see the price.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

treblezero

Post by treblezero »

https://cars245.co.uk/item/bosch-1230107011-washer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
75p each but £2.70 delivery... So I bought 10 and if they turn up I'll put 8 on ebay. But you're right, BigHerb, some outrageous prices, particulalry on eBay.
Thanks for the quick response, folks