Help with power managment

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Sandsmooreontour
80-90 Mem No: 0

Help with power managment

Post by Sandsmooreontour »

Hello, im new to this site and looking for some help apologies if there has been a previous request on this had a look but couldn't find one.

I have bought a 16" Syncro and have begun working on fitting her out, and would like some help and advice on on fitting power management for the electrics

I am going to have
x2 leisure batteries one under each seat
Solar to the roof

been reading up on everything but feeling a little lost on what systems are best to run. want to achieve charging set up for
Alternator to all batteries
hook up to batteries
solar to batteries
Trickle charge to main

If any of you guys have craked this or now have some advice on what to look out for would be gratefully received seems to be a lot of choice out there and i dont want to end up wasting cash on a poor configeration.

Ive been looking at Sargent Control System EC160 and Amperor EC160 but im unsure if theres a better way to go,

Any help would be great , thanks guys
:ok

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Help with power managment

Post by Mocki »

if you are having solar, the solar controller will manage the panel charging between all your batteries,
a simple ( but beefy 140amp) split charge will deal with the alternator charging,
for hook up, a good quality intelligent charger ( 20 amp ) hard wired via a three way switch to switch between leisure and main battery manually will do the job.
although its unlikely you will need hook up charging if the solar system is man enough.

if you are starting from scratch keep everything 12v operated, lighting and aux power outlets for phone/ gadget charging and you will find you will have less problems overal.

yes you can go down the stirling route, but unless you have a very high usage rate, its alot of money to achieve pretty much the same thing imho.

the main thing is to make sure all the charging wiring is over sized,correctly fused and the relays are big enough for the job.
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

MGP
80-90 Mem No: 13910

Post by MGP »

As above however check out the ctek 250 dual as it's a battery to battery charger and solar control in one unit if you need more charging current then you can also fit the smart pass and that has the benefit of a low voltage disconnect built in, it's what I have fitted and am very happy with the results.
I do not have 240 in my van just 2x 75ah starter batteries and a 100w solar panel running a compressor fridge, 19" tv for the little one, led lights and phone and tablet charging.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
'89 1.9td AAZ engine
http://www.dubsonthefritz.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

Also, make sure you use the 16" version of the electrons, as the 14" ones will give reduced performance... :lol:
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

Sandsmooreontour

Thanks guys lots to look at realy appreciate the feed back and info will make sure its 16" compatibly :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sandsmooreontour

would you recommend fitting a battery isolator to main battery ?

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Sandsmooreontour wrote:would you recommend fitting a battery isolator to main battery ?
For what reason?
The solar controller will manage all power requirements to the batteries.
All day long.
If you wire the two leisures in parallel you can buy this dual battery controller..
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/120910730156?_mwBanner=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And set the charge requirement to the main battery or the twin leisures yourself
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Aye. However, if you want to isolate it for security purposes, its much simpler to fit a hidden switch so coil or engine bay electrics don't receive any power. They can do all they like with ignition switch - its not going to start.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Sandsmooreontour

thanks guys apprecaite the info :ok