Headlights with Taifun Grille Questions

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bmouthboyo
80-90 Mem No: 9396

Headlights with Taifun Grille Questions

Post by bmouthboyo »

OK so at present I have this setup:

I think its called a Taifun grill and I would like to clean and spray it black. The inner head lamp / sport lights seem a little too small for the hole and look a bit out of place so looking to see what bigger ones I can fit.

I have a few questions
- Are the inner lights different to the outer? Is it more correct to call these spot lights?
- Must the inner lights have the light deflection area like in my second pic?
- Does anyone know the biggest diameter inner lamp I can fit on this grille?
- What is the brightest light I can legally use?

I heard some people say you need new relays for brighter lights?

Cheers
1983 Autosleeper Trooper - 1.8 Gti Conversion

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Headlights with Taifun Grille Questions

Post by CovKid »

My dream grill that is. 7" lights should be in those inner ones - same as headlights. You need relays AND good cable from battery - stock one not up to it (all in the WIKI)

Take a look at some of these: http://www.powerfuluk.com/catalogsearch ... 2+angeleye" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Upgrading dash supply: http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/VW ... ry_to_dash" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

bmouthboyo

Post by bmouthboyo »

Thanks Covkid, I will have a good read of them links.

I actually like the grille so hoping to repair the cips and spray it black (rattle can). I think with larger inner lights it should look quite good.

I am a bit new to the setup of headlights etc, can someone correct me if I am wrong in assuming that:

1- If running with only the standard 2 T25 lamps they do 2 modes, normal and full beam?
2 - When adding the inner lamps are they the same as the main ones or are they spot lights only?
3 - what modes does the inner lamps have? Full beam? Side light? When should they come on?

Sorry if these are daft questions, I have not been with the van in over 3 years as I am working abroad, but looking to be back in the UK for good next year.

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Outers, main & dipped, inners come on when on main beam only. Thats the normal setup. Very foggy inners. I'm not a fan of headlights (and that includes Hella) where the lens is doing all the work of creating the correct beam. They're inefficient compared to ones I linked to above and bear in mind the price is for a pair - not each.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

bmouthboyo

Post by bmouthboyo »

Thanks covkid.

I guess you cannot simply move the outer hella headlights to the inner and replace outer with LED?

Are the inner lamps physically different? Or is it just how they are wired?

ambivert
80-90 Mem No: 6378

Post by ambivert »

I just got a Taifun grille... How the hell are they meant to attach to the van? None of the fittings are standard. If anything the van's fittings are getting in the way!
1983 Devon Moonraker poptop 1.9 DG (early) lowered 50mm - Back on the road after 5 years of SORN!

bmouthboyo

Post by bmouthboyo »

CovKid wrote:Outers, main & dipped, inners come on when on main beam only. Thats the normal setup. Very foggy inners. I'm not a fan of headlights (and that includes Hella) where the lens is doing all the work of creating the correct beam. They're inefficient compared to ones I linked to above and bear in mind the price is for a pair - not each.

Sorry to draw this up again but I am now back in the UK with my van and ready to sort this.

So on the link you provided covkid could I use the land rover defender angel eyes lamp as my main headlight? Are they easy to fit? Why are they so cheap compared to say hella lamps? Would I need special bulbs with blast etc?

And it still leaves me with the issue of what 7.'' Lamps to replace my inner ones with. What a nice looking for regarding lense pattern and functions for inner lamps?

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

PM'd you
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Sorry, been away. Yes you can swap to defender lights. Cheaper - all down to brand names. In any event they just leave Hella units standing for brightness and less stray light.