VW T25 - Ticking noise beneath instrument panel.

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Liz_limpet
80-90 Mem No: 0

VW T25 - Ticking noise beneath instrument panel.

Post by Liz_limpet »

Hi All,

I have recently bought a 1987 VW T25.

The blower motor was not working so I removed the dashboard etc. and replaced the blower motor. Whilst there I also installed a cigarette lighter at the dash. These works took me about 2 weeks to complete as I was doing it in evenings/weekends. However, yesterday I started to put it all back together to find that out of nowhere a ticking noise began in a little black box under where the dash instruments are (i.e. in and amongst the wiring) and the red ignition light (?) was flashing. The box measures about 100mm x 75mm x 20mm. Mine is covered in black electrical tape and has wires going into it. Also the horn now does not work and when I tried other things such as the windscreen wipers and the blower motor (which was working well after I replaced it), these seemed to be on go-slow like they weren't receiving full power.

The ticking and light flashing continued in spite of there not being a key in the ignition.

Today I put everything back together and now the battery is flat.

Does anyone know the following:

A) simply what has happened!?
B) what that little ticking box is?
C) is it simply that my battery died as a coincidence whilst I was doing this? (It is currently on charge!!)

I would really appreciate any clues to help me out!!!!

Thanks!!

Liz