Relay 72 conundrum

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Dave99
80-90 Mem No: 0

Relay 72 conundrum

Post by Dave99 »

Hi all

apologies in advance I am both a T25 newbie and an auto electrical novice. I have a recently restored 1985 T25 Caravelle which I took on a camping trip to France recently where it developed an infuriating clicking noise, which turned out to be an after market fitted relay which was under the driver's side dash (relay 72, part number 191 955 529). The clicking stopped after it was removed, however I also lot several internal electrical functions eg lights etc once it was removed, so I'm keen to resolve the problem properly.

I thought I would just order a replacement relay, however when I investigated I found that the relay was for a rear wiper which my van does not have, and potentially not designed for use on a T25.

The van has had several upgrades which require power or are linked in some way to the leisure battery, including a solar panel, power steering, stereo, immobiliser etc and I'm wondering if the relay was put in for use in one of these functions.

Is it the right relay for this van? Is it being used for an incorrect purpose (hence why it's clicking)? Is it just a generic relay and I should just buy another of the same type? I'm hoping someone can help me answer these questions... it would be much appreciated

cheers