CTEK - D250S DUAL DC - DC 12V 20 AMP 5 STEP CHARGER

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Wedgbury
80-90 Mem No: 15292

CTEK - D250S DUAL DC - DC 12V 20 AMP 5 STEP CHARGER

Post by Wedgbury »

Anybody fitted one of these?
I currently have a National Luna split charge system in line with the vehicle and Aux battery.
Additional charge is with a small 20W solar panel which I can plug into either battery separately.
This looks like it could do all things in one box. Also it looks like it may charge the batteries up better off the alternator.
Any advice would be appreciated.

syncropete
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1621

Re: CTEK - D250S DUAL DC - DC 12V 20 AMP 5 STEP CHARGER

Post by syncropete »

Fitted one of these to our G wagen a couple of months ago. Its fantastic. Does everything its supposed to and you really do not have to even look at the lights on it. Stop to camp, and you have a full leisure battery and cool beers and ice cream for a long time. recomended. :ok
Much better than a split charge relay.

jaybe1001
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by jaybe1001 »

I fitted one after the house battery died well before it was supposed to.

With the CTEK, the new battery rarely needs charging even when I have run the fridge and lights overnight, then driven for a couple hours. The inbuilt solar regulator does everything you'd want (MPPT, etc.) plus when the house battery is full, the unit will direct charge from solar panel to trickle charge the starter battery. If you have a permanent solar panel mounted you'll probably never need to charge a battery again.

They sell an add on unit if you want to draw more than 20 amps plus adds some cleverness around charging and cutting off consumers when the battery is low.

Cheers.

Jon.
--
'89 Syncro Trakka camper

Oilline
80-90 Mem No: 9818

Post by Oilline »

How does this compare to the Sterling battery to battery charger?
1986 Syncro EJ251, 2007 T5 4-Motion, Active Snowtrac, Golf Mk2 Syncro

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

I went for this unit too, with the 'Smartpass' unit as well, which manages various inputs and acts as an 80A Low Voltage Disconnect to protect your leisure batteries from going flat (it allows you to connect critical items, like a radio if it's on a boat, directly to the battery, but I have all my 'consumers' going through the LVD). I also added the MXS10 mains charger. In fact, I originally fitted the D250S/Smartpass system so that the a mains charger could be used to intelligently charge both leisure and starter batteries, but since fitting the solar panel I hardly ever have to use the mains charger.

It's truly a fit and forget system, unlike the original Zig which relied on me remembering which position to have the switches in when driving or camping. With the CTEK system I can be sure that the best source of energy (solar, alternator, mains charger) is always being used to intelligently charge (via a multi-stage program) my bank of leisure batteries, as well as pulse charging my starter battery when the leisures are full.

The only thing I miss compared to other people's solar installations is a display of some sort to tell me how much current is flowing and what state the batteries are in. But I added a voltmeter in the cab area, so I can see the charging voltage, and that tells me all I really need to know.

"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

Wedgbury
80-90 Mem No: 15292

Post by Wedgbury »

All

Thanks for the info. :ok

The system did look ideal as I have a solar panel as well so will be ordering one.

CJH looks like you have a well sorted set up there.

irishkeet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2322

Post by irishkeet »

CJH

Very nice tidy setup, where did you locate everything?

cheers
irishkeet

CJH wrote:I went for this unit too, with the 'Smartpass' unit as well, which manages various inputs and acts as an 80A Low Voltage Disconnect to protect your leisure batteries from going flat (it allows you to connect critical items, like a radio if it's on a boat, directly to the battery, but I have all my 'consumers' going through the LVD). I also added the MXS10 mains charger. In fact, I originally fitted the D250S/Smartpass system so that the a mains charger could be used to intelligently charge both leisure and starter batteries, but since fitting the solar panel I hardly ever have to use the mains charger.

It's truly a fit and forget system, unlike the original Zig which relied on me remembering which position to have the switches in when driving or camping. With the CTEK system I can be sure that the best source of energy (solar, alternator, mains charger) is always being used to intelligently charge (via a multi-stage program) my bank of leisure batteries, as well as pulse charging my starter battery when the leisures are full.

The only thing I miss compared to other people's solar installations is a display of some sort to tell me how much current is flowing and what state the batteries are in. But I added a voltmeter in the cab area, so I can see the charging voltage, and that tells me all I really need to know.

------------------------
1985 Doka 1.9 DG 4 Speed Box
---
1986 Fakefalia Syncro Subaru EJ25