Head Light type

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

hakuna matata
80-90 Mem No: 2391

Re: Head Light type

Post by hakuna matata »

All i can say is when we go wild camping this year instead of me leading the way , Guess what !! youre in the front Now . :shock: well done Bright eyes . :rofl

neil :rofl
Love the Heart that hurts you,
But never Hurt the heart that loves you.

Don,t worry Be Happy !!!

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

If its down that steep hill, I'd rather have Bobster in front of me - at least he's slow. :D

Second VIDEO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2X5GgKDOos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just took a drive out on some fast country roads near Atherstone. Would be totally outrageous with Osrams. :shock:

I used a fixed aparture on camera. Bit of noise due to low-light conditions obviously, but you get the idea. Remember, I'm using stock 60/55w watt bulbs - nothing else. No Osrams, spotlights and DRL's disconnected for test. I also took the headlight relays out of the equation. Just bog standard bulbs running straight off the bog standard fusebox. On dipped, it lights up all I need and no longer lights up the guys head in front of me just to get a half decent light ahead. Adjustment seems about right (possibly a fraction low on nearside). The 'kick' seems correct. Nice even light from in front of bumper to cutoff point. With spots, relays put back into circuit, and Osrams, I don't think you'd want for much!

I now have a pair of almost new ECP headlight reflectors now so if anyone wants to take them off me for £8 the two, you're welcome.

10 out of 10 from me anyway. Will try Osrams next and reconnect headlight relays see if I can terrify cats. :wink: - and reconnect my spotlamps for full beam.

Incidentally, I am fairly confident these are the proper style of rings needed to retain headlight units with lugs: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-Datsun ... 416fd1af9d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or even http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MGB-Inner-Hea ... 2348e912d8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - needs some depth measurements.

I can confirm that cable ties will NOT hold these type of headlights in place due to their design. No way. There isn't the room. I did look at making slots in the plastic lugs to accept cable ties but you'd need to be SO careful you didn't weaken them or damage headlight. Not worth trying in my opinion. Better to make up retaining clips as I did below (oversized brake pipe clips) or better still, source a screw-on bezel similar, or even the same (not tested one to try) as that fitted to MGBs or landrovers. If you look at GoWesty's headlight upgrade, they use the same type of bezel - and three-lug headlight units: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdiE1ZbIZ7o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The bezel really finishes them off properly - don't know where from at non-extorionate costs. Stainless or chrome would really suit mine as its a Caravelle.

Last edited by CovKid on 01 Feb 2015, 11:59, edited 3 times in total.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

And with DRL's (hard to capture in a photo due to their intesity):

Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Is there a legal restriction on sidelight "brightness"?
I am wondering whether it is out of the question to use the DRLs, dimmed or undimmed as sidelights.

Bet this was covered further up ^^^ :lol:
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

I did hunt around on this but providing they dim, DRL's are acceptable as sidelights. However, I'm getting a couple of additional bumper mounted sidelights shortly - a kind of belt n' braces approach. They're flush-mounted and normally go on lorries so no real hassle to fit. Sidelights should be equivalent to a 5watt bulb according to regs.

That said.....I'm using it next week with DRLs as sidelights. If I don't get flashed, that may tell me something :wink:

Next is to try lights with Osram Silverstars and reconnect headlight relays (which were not part of initial test).

ScienceBoy
80-90 Mem No: 11736

Post by ScienceBoy »

CJH, how did you get one with your angel eyes?
1988 Hightop
1.9 DG Petrol

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

ScienceBoy wrote:CJH, how did you get one with your angel eyes?

I'm very pleased with them. The angel eye effect isn't bright enough to be used as DRLs, but they make decent side lights. The pattern on dipped or full beam is good. I posted some photos a while back: http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 5#p8040327" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've since added the SA-style twin headlight grille, and with matching Nightbreakers in all four lamps and the relay mod to ensure minimal voltage drop my view ahead is as good as I could wish for.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

MidLifeCrisis
80-90 Mem No: 10519

Post by MidLifeCrisis »

CovKid wrote:And with DRL's (hard to capture in a photo due to their intesity):

Hi CovKid - sorry if this was been mentioned (and I did scan the last 4 pages of this post trying to find out) but did you mention where you got these headlight units from - ??
1987 Westfalia Van, Petrol 2.0 AGG

ScienceBoy
80-90 Mem No: 11736

Post by ScienceBoy »

CJH wrote: I'm very pleased with them. The angel eye effect isn't bright enough to be used as DRLs, but they make decent side lights. The pattern on dipped or full beam is good.

Very nice Chris. Perhaps when I've caught up with everything else....
1988 Hightop
1.9 DG Petrol

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-7-Round-L ... 27f25d9db8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - I mention source on the youtube vids. £45 for both.

Made a minor adjustment today. I noticed that the angle of the 'kick' against the kerb wasn't quite right (not 15 degrees - more like eight) and when checking on a brick wall carefully, I could see the the headlight wasn't rotated correctly in the pod. I just loosened the clips, turned each headlight (looking from the front) fully anticlockwise until the lugs hit the stops, tightened the clips until headlight was held, and the correct kick was restored. CJH and I bought our headlamps from the same seller. I opted for the DRL version but would imagine (since the DRLs take up part of the reflector) that CJH's probably give a slightly taller beam than mine. Just bear in mind, the DRL ones (don't know about CJH's) lack a sidelight bulb fitting. I've decided to fit extra ones in the bumper to comply. Up to you on that. Would advise reading back as there is more to this than you might think. Chri's may well be the better choice.

Once again, in video I'm using standard bulbs and relays bypassed. I need hardly point out how bright they'd be with both those added in. :shock:

Hi CovKid - sorry if this was been mentioned (and I did scan the last 4 pages of this post trying to find out) but did you mention where you got these headlight units from - ??
Last edited by CovKid on 01 Feb 2015, 22:06, edited 2 times in total.

CJH

Post by CJH »

CovKid wrote:Just bear in mind, the DRL ones (don't know about CJH's) lack a sidelight bulb fitting.

The angel eyes on mine are meant to be the side lights I believe, and they work well as such. And being LEDs, their current draw is negligible - if I forget to turn my lights off it should be a couple of weeks before my battery starts to notice. They come with bare wires so I soldered on a couple of male blade connectors and they push into the sidelight fitting. you need to get the polarity right though - LEDs only work one way round. I was thinking about this today - I'm sure it won't be long before we look back with amusement at bulbs that work with the wires connected either way round! :shock:

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Lol - I used those spades too Chris. For the DRL units, you definately need a DRL relay with dimmer function or auxillary sidelights. Yours are probably less 'faff' Chris - bright as my DRLs are.

For them to operate correctly, DRLs should come on bright with no lights on, and dim when you actually switch any external lights on. That way they double as sidelights. The alternative is they go off when you switch any external lights but then you'd need extra sidelights. Angel Eye ones work (more or less) out of the box with none of those issues plus you can fit DRLs anywhere.
Last edited by CovKid on 01 Feb 2015, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.

keytouch
80-90 Mem No: 4484

Post by keytouch »

Now I'm torn between the 2 types, I love them both and can't decide which to go for
Jonathan

A Camper called Wanda
1983 A reg Bilbo Marlfield conversion, 1900 Diesel 1Y engine

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Anyone want to see just how bright those DRL's are?

This is in PITCH black so any light you see is wholly from DRL's - bit bright for sidelights I'd say :rofl Hurts your eyes if stood directly in front. NO WAY could you drive with those in the dark. Half-light/daylight only.

Last edited by CovKid on 01 Feb 2015, 22:59, edited 2 times in total.

CJH

Post by CJH »

keytouch wrote:Now I'm torn between the 2 types, I love them both and can't decide which to go for

Nice to have a choice though isn't it.