An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Head Light type

Post by CovKid »

And on video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN91J6rlGSY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hmmm, limited use I think. Actually, it'be cool if you could create a white box round your camper though - make your own parking space. :rofl

Or, with questionable translation and dramatic music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8v09Q6Xnfk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

CovKid wrote:I'm thinking of making up a similar bracket to that so I can fit twin round lights (all 7"). Biggest hurdle would seem to be the grill though.

I looked at this but came to the conclusion the off side second lamp would not fit as the depth is limited, I may be wrong.
Also I came to the conclusion that it would look odd with twin 7 inch
If you look at the grill you have just enough space to cut a 6 inch unit in and keep the second vertical rib, these seem to be much less deep as they are driving lights only.

I am going to try this when I get a spare grill off what2d because if it all goes t i ts up I dont want be driving around with holes in my grill :lol:
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Almost tempted to lend a hand. :D

Brett Sinclair seemed happy with twins

Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

Not a great deal of benefit fitting four 7" head lamps.
You don't get twice the light from two lamps focused in the same place, you only get around 40% more light as some of the light rays from each lamp are cancelled out, that's why it is not always immediately obvious when you get one headlamp bulb blown.
Fitting four lamps would be a diminishing return in relation to the power consumption.
Four headlamps are only viable when the other pair can be better focused in a different area such as for longer range such as Aston did above with the Lucas 5 3/4" F700 sealed beam lamps the inner lamps are for main beam only.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

bigherb wrote:Not a great deal of benefit fitting four 7" head lamps.
You don't get twice the light from two lamps focused in the same place, you only get around 40% more light as some of the light rays from each lamp are cancelled out.

I know a thing or two about luminance, illuminance and photometry (I work for a company that designs and makes performance lighting) and I don't believe that.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

itchyfeet wrote:
You don't get twice the light from two lamps focused in the same place, you only get around 40% more light as some of the light rays from each lamp are cancelled out.

I know a thing or two about luminance, illuminance and photometry (I work for a company that designs and makes performance lighting) and I don't believe that.
Then you should know about the light the eye can see not measured light.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

I've got the horn for these at the moment
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

bigherb wrote:
itchyfeet wrote:

Then you should know about the light the eye can see not measured light.

that's not what you said and somewhat irrelevant imo, light on the road will double with double lamps, your iris may adjust slightly to brighter light yes and the human eye sees amber light best but lumen is an arbitary unit weighted to amber for this reason( also why you can't measure blue LEDs in lumens because it's predoninately a measurement of amber light)

Then there is photopic, scotopic and mesopic vision.....

oh no I'm boring myself again :D
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

lloydy wrote:I've got the horn for these at the moment
Now they are something...apart from the go faster red bezel of course!
Tell us more?

Smosh
80-90 Mem No: 12801

Post by Smosh »

+1 those look cool! I think I even like the bezel. :oops:
1984 Voltswagen 25 Pop-Top (No idea what type!?) 1.9 W/C Petrol based in Guernsey, C.I.

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

I have a similar bezel holding mine in now rather than clips. Might spray mine blue..... :idea

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Right, heres my non-clip solution (below) using a proper bezel. Will WIKI this when I get more time.

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Well I believe in admitting when I'm wrong, the early type OEM lamps with H4 bulbs just failed the MOT on 'no beam pattern', so looks like that was a waste of time. :oops: yeh yeh I told you so I can hear from the back, maybe taking the lamp covers out would do it but I'm not trying.

Not sure whether to stick the H4 lights back ( one has a bad reflector and may fail ) or fit the cheapo ECP units, I assume the cheapo ECP must pass an MOT as OBG says he has them fitted.

Wan't to elaborate on the bezel Covkid? is it the land rover bezels modded because I have those, going back in Thursday so got to get it done tonight/tomorrow night, might just lash it up for now with the landy bezels.

...on a positive note no other advisories :ok
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Yep, landy/austin style bezel. The problems you'll encounter:

If you do find 2 of the 3 screws line up, the other won't or some tab will obscure an adjusting screw. At work right now but you should figure it out. Quickest easiest way is to turn bezel so nothing obscures adjusters then cable tie three convenient lugs to inner frame. Job done. Good quality ties last 7-9 years apparently. I'm sure I'd have changed bulbs by then. Mine look great now. Will post more pics of fitting this evening.

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Yes of couse, great idea on using cable ties :wink:
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks