Head Light type

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Head Light type

Post by CovKid »

I don't have a spare headlight frame in front of me right now (replacing front discs & pads today) but I'll look at it again this week. I think there was also an issue of depth that added to the challenge, something that isn't obvious unless you have the vehicle and front grill to hand when working out the adapter.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

itchyfeet wrote:
CovKid wrote:I'm thinking of making up a similar bracket to that so I can fit twin round lights (all 7"). Biggest hurdle would seem to be the grill though.

I looked at this but came to the conclusion the off side second lamp would not fit as the depth is limited, I may be wrong.
Also I came to the conclusion that it would look odd with twin 7 inch
If you look at the grill you have just enough space to cut a 6 inch unit in and keep the second vertical rib, these seem to be much less deep as they are driving lights only.

I am going to try this when I get a spare grill off what2d because if it all goes t i ts up I dont want be driving around with holes in my grill :lol:

Got the grill of what2d -thanks
Can anybody tell me please are the SA twin light round inner lamps the same as the jk Grill and what diameter they are?
https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/type25- ... StartRow=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Next question does anybody know what diameter m2 golf gti inner lamps are? They look very similar and are cheaper
there is one close to me but I don't have a measuring stick with me

thanks
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Not only did the new MOT tester pass the lights today, he spent ages looking at them and wanting to know where he could buy some from. Said DRLs were sidelights in his opinion and lights much better than original fitment. Beam pattern and aim spot on (note my previous pics on where to set them on the road) - set mine that way by hand. Also passed my £18 seatbelts. Thats nine years of passes. :D

Hmmm... wonder if I could relocate spots like this:

Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Golf GTI inner lights, cheap as chips.......

watch this space :D
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Fortunately my spots are exceedingly shallow and looking at sticking with the single bolt & bracket and see if I can suss out a spot to bolt them to. Obviously I'd have to pop the grill off when adjusting them but once done that should be it. The fun bit Itchy is cutting the grill, however they're fitted/mounted. :lol:

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Thats why I have a spare grill to play with incase it all goes wrong
its at an angle also which complicates it but I have some ideas.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

What about....cutting to the right of the new light, straight down so you end up with a square hole then fit a rigid piece of plastic in the space from behind, with a 7" round hole (similar to way headlight is situated) ?

With whole grill sprayed it should look as one. May need some bodyfiller to tidy up ends of exposed grill struts.

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

I'm thinking 6 inch black plastic tube, perfect size for the 5.5 inch gti lights
Cut the tube at an angle to suit the grill and cut the grill to take the tube.
done well it may not need any thing more than some fixings to attach the tube into the grill.

well thats the plan anyway :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RIGID-BLACK-P ... 43af79439d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

or polypipe glue

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

I spotted a T25 near me recently that had twin round lamps in the grill. Only caught a driving past glimpse but pretty sure they were full size ones.
imho, smaller inners would look better.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

That may have more to do with familiarity though. Good to try these things out. One things for sure I wouldn't even contemplate this sort of stuff with the old power cables. Real joy to be able to see the road and have sidelights that other drivers can see in daylight. Chalk and cheese.

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Using the Mk2 inner driving lights is basically reproducing the pre-1990 SA Microbus grill... nice item but rare as a rare thing.
Grilles are made from ABS iirc?

Re: DRL's, the new cars that I have seen dont seem to dim them when the headlights are on, but I have seen some that dim the side that has an indicator flashing, to make it more obvious maybe?

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Had a chat with my MOT guy and he felt that my DRLs (in headlights) in no way compare to the outrageously bright DRLs fitted to some modern cars and accepted them as sidelights - pretty much what Powerfuluk said would happen. If anything he thought they were more visible markers than the OE bulbs in Hella units so mine stay on all the time now too - as they should for sidelights.

There doesn't seem to be anything in MOT rules that specifies sidelights should be singular.

I do have some seperate DRLs to fit that are VERY bright indeed but I have a module for those that will switch them off if they sense the headlights are on.

whereufromnosecity
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by whereufromnosecity »

I fitted some mk2 golf crosshair head lights to my T3 the other day, needed a little bit of modding to get them to fit but worked out well

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

lloydy wrote:I've got the horn for these at the moment
Having found that topic on the samba, I saw a Defender with those fitted just a few nights ago in my locale. Very distinctive with the three dip luminaires at the top.
Whether they are E marked remains to be seen but I would guess that one of the big LR accessoy outfits is now stocking them.