Headlight Loom Upgrade

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

MidLifeCrisis
80-90 Mem No: 10519

Re: Headlight Loom Upgrade

Post by MidLifeCrisis »

Tinium wrote:The only thing I'd possibly change is that the supplied fuse is at the relay end of the +ve wire - So I'll probably add another in the battery compartment just to be sure that nothing goes too badly wrong if the wire gets nicked for whatever reason between the battery and the lights.
I'm confused now - I thought that the benefit of this loom kit was that the relays were mounted at the battery end and wires ran from there to the headlights - it seems that you are saying that the relays (and fuses) are at the headlights end and there is then a wire running to the battery?? (I've tried to look at the pic of the loom on the website but I can't quite make out how the looms is working as it's all coiled up and you can't quite see whats going on???)
So, is it;

Headlight ---- relay/fuse ------------------------ long wire ------------------------ battery

Or

Headlight ------------------------long wire ------------------------ relay/fuse ---- battery
1987 Westfalia Van, Petrol 2.0 AGG

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

MidLifeCrisis wrote: Headlight ---- relay/fuse ------------------------ long wire ------------------------ battery

That one. That way you only need one heavy duty long wire. Agreed though that the fuse should be at the battery end for sure !!!!
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

MidLifeCrisis

Post by MidLifeCrisis »

ghost123uk wrote:
MidLifeCrisis wrote: Headlight ---- relay/fuse ------------------------ long wire ------------------------ battery

That one. That way you only need one heavy duty long wire. Agreed though that the fuse should be at the battery end for sure !!!!
But the pic on the website looks like there are two fuse holders with 2 short red wires coming off them that are connected to a single ring terminal - it's a little confusing???

Tinium
80-90 Mem No: 12269

Post by Tinium »

MidLifeCrisis wrote:
ghost123uk wrote:

But the pic on the website looks like there are two fuse holders with 2 short red wires coming off them that are connected to a single ring terminal - it's a little confusing???

It's definitely as Ghost says above - but yes, it's not what's shown in the picture now you mention it! I guess it could be either (a) making it simpler to install (would involve taking the loom apart somewhat to feed the wires to the headlamps otherwise, as you'd either have the headlamp connectors or the relays to contend with) or (b) a bit cheaper. I'm hoping (a) but suspecting a bit of (b) too...
1987 Syncro EJ25 Leisuredrive Tin-Top Campervan

MidLifeCrisis

Post by MidLifeCrisis »

That's a shame - I kind of liked the idea of the relays being in the 'relative safety' of the cabin and in easy reach for maintenance etc

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

MidLifeCrisis wrote:That's a shame - I kind of liked the idea of the relays being in the 'relative safety' of the cabin and in easy reach for maintenance etc

Fortunately fuses have a very small maintenance schedule so they'll be fine in the back.
Mine have been okay for over 7 years without maintenance.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

MidLifeCrisis

Post by MidLifeCrisis »

Titus A Duxass wrote:Fortunately fuses have a very small maintenance schedule so they'll be fine in the back.
Mine have been okay for over 7 years without maintenance.
Perhaps 'maintenance' was the wrong word - more like "oh look, my headlights don't work; let me check the fuses" - do I a) go outside in the dark and rain (cos it will be dark and rainy), remove the front grill and try to fish around looking for two fuses; or b) slide the drivers seat forward and have a look at the fuses by the battery)
And the same goes for the relays - they'd be much safer and easier to inspect inside rather than behind the front grill!!!!

Titus A Duxass

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Sorry I was trying to be witty.
My relays (4off) are behind the grill, the fuses are in the engine bay.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

Titus A Duxass wrote: My relays (4off) are behind the grill,

My relays (2 of) and fuses are mounted high up behind the grill and have been there for about 8 years. Never even looked at them since they were fitted back then.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

WLC
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by WLC »

MidLifeCrisis wrote: I'm confused now - I thought that the benefit of this loom kit was that the relays were mounted at the battery end and wires ran from there to the headlights - it seems that you are saying that the relays (and fuses) are at the headlights end and there is then a wire running to the battery?? (I've tried to look at the pic of the loom on the website but I can't quite make out how the looms is working as it's all coiled up and you can't quite see whats going on???)
So, is it;

Headlight ---- relay/fuse ------------------------ long wire ------------------------ battery

Or

Headlight ------------------------long wire ------------------------ relay/fuse ---- battery

It doesn't matter as long as: -

1) The wires are thicker than they need to be :-)

2) The "joins" are well made :-)

3) You have as few "joins" as possible :-)

Your questions are welcome :-)

MidLifeCrisis

Post by MidLifeCrisis »

WLC wrote: It doesn't matter as long as: -

1) The wires are thicker than they need to be :-)
2) The "joins" are well made :-)
3) You have as few "joins" as possible :-)

Your questions are welcome :-)
Well it doesn't matter electrically but one method puts the relays/fuses outside in the elements and one keeps them inside out of harms way ......... as others have noted it's probably not a big deal but it was 'a positive' aspect of the apparent design when I first saw the pics on the website.

WLC
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by WLC »

MidLifeCrisis wrote:Well it doesn't matter electrically but one method puts the relays/fuses outside in the elements and one keeps them inside out of harms way Yeah :-) ......... as others have noted it's probably not a big deal but it was 'a positive' aspect of the apparent design when I first saw the pics on the website. Dunno, I always start with a pile of parts, then run the wires in as and where, that way I can control quality and workmanship :-) rather than fit a kit built to a competitive price

Last edited by WLC on 26 Nov 2014, 13:21, edited 1 time in total.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Ditto on self-build. You can then upgrade to thicker cable, better relays etc as you see fit. Its invariably cheaper that way as you can source what you want from where you want. The circuit is very simple.

The kit should (hopefully) be plug n play though and that will suit some owners.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

All this reminds me, must try to get my hands on some more decent 6mm squared RED wire. I was using some ace stuff "got" from a mate who works for B.R. (drum ends that where being chucked) that was apparently Mil Spec, but I only have brown and yellow left. I HATE having to use incorrectly coloured wire for stuff like this :twisted: (it's the OCD in me ;))

Titus A Duxass

Post by Titus A Duxass »

ghost123uk wrote: I HATE having to use incorrectly coloured wire for stuff like this :twisted: (it's the OCD in me ;))

OCD is good to have if you're playing with kabelsalat.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l