Non-vw, headlights stopped working, looking for advice

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

pandkh
80-90 Mem No: 13031

Non-vw, headlights stopped working, looking for advice

Post by pandkh »

Hi

Apologies for posting non vw related stuff but I know there are some electrical experts here and I'm looking for advice.

I returned from holiday to gatwick last night, picked up the car(Renault grand scenic) from the valet parking and hit the M23. I didn't notice until I overtook the car in front that the headlights and sidelights weren't working. All looked good inside, no failed bulb alarm, lights symbol illuminated, but pitch black outside once on motorway.

I pulled over and later got towed to clackett lane services on M25. Repairman came, but this was out of his league. Ended up sleeping in the car until morning and driving home. Another repairman came but he couldn't get to the engine bay fuse box, and after a couple of hours, he had to admit defeat.

This was the status
Front sidelights and dipped beam don't work
Main beam works
Fog lights work
Rear side lights, only 1 working
Brake lights working.

both myself and the AA guy thought it was the fuse. But we couldn't get to the fuse box. It's a pig to get to.

Later I nipped out to the shops before it got dark and one of the headlights is now working!!

So it can't be the fuse. So is it likely to be a short? Or an earthing issue? If I take this to my local garage, is it likely to be within their skill set to resolve? Or do I need an auto electrician?

My wife needs the car everyday for work, so I've had to hire one for a week so I'm not panicking trying to get it fixed. I fortunately drive the T25.

Just looking for some general advice on how to approach resolving the problem.

Thanks in advance
Pete
1986 1.9 petrol water-cooled high top