Ignition coils

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Ignition coils

Post by ghost123uk »

Following on from a current thread about getting a new coil, Chris (CJH) said =

CJH wrote:There's also some test data in the Brickwerks listing:

Brickwerks wrote: Test data.
Primary resistance [between terminals 1 & 15] - .5Ω to .8Ω
Secondary resistance [between terminals 1 & 4] - 2.4kΩ to 3.5kΩ

I never did understand this. Why are there 2 types of coil specs when all the other associated ignition components are the same (to the best of my knowledge) :?

My van does not have a coil issue, but I do know the coil is black and has no sticker on it, so if I ever did need a coil, how would I know which one to get :? (86 DG)

Note this is not a problem, just a blog / yack on the subject for future use and for future "searches".
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

NicBeeee
80-90 Mem No: 8608

Re: Ignition coils

Post by NicBeeee »

The secondary seems a lot higher on the grey compared to the green, perhaps best to test prior to it going faulty

http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php/b ... g/tag/t25/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.” ― Spike Milligan

1988 1.9 DG

kennyjackett
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by kennyjackett »

I didn't see that on Brickwerks, thanks mate. That makes my saturday job a hell of a lot easier for this newbie :) Cheers :ok

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

The grey sticker with the higher secondary resistance and capable of higher HT voltage is for long life plugs and extended servicing, it can fire a worn plug with larger gaps.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

bigherb wrote:The grey sticker with the higher secondary resistance and capable of higher HT voltage is for long life plugs and extended servicing, it can fire a worn plug with larger gaps.

Any reason why it shouldn't be used as a replacement for the green stickered version?
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

bigherb

Post by bigherb »

CJH wrote:
bigherb wrote:The grey sticker with the higher secondary resistance and capable of higher HT voltage is for long life plugs and extended servicing, it can fire a worn plug with larger gaps.

Any reason why it shouldn't be used as a replacement for the green stickered version?
Not really apart from it won't fit the early coils unless you change the HT lead connection and the HT leads need to be in good order otherwise the higher voltage will find an easier route if it is less than that needed to fire the plug. Or the other way round fit a green one if you don't go in for extended servicing and change the plugs regularly.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Thats worth knowing :ok
thanks
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

Yes thanks for clearing that up, it's been puzzling me for years (knowing that other than the lead fittings, everything else is the same !)

I think that simple bit of info should be in the wiki, but there is currently no relevant section and I don't know how to "add" a section (and don't want to risk messing the wiki up !)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

CovKid has now done a write up in the wiki about this HERE :ok

"We" know that LPG requires a very healthy spark to fire properly, so I wonder if fitting a Grey (higher output) coil might be of any benefit when on gas ?

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Can't swear I've got it 100% correct but battled with it this morning, cross-referencing stuff generally. Happy to add anything I may have missed or omitted. I agree its worth putting in there as it can be confusing particularly if you end up with a half-breed ignition system like mine John. I think photos will help too. Mine is early type but due to endless fights with GSF, I've ended up with a mixture as their early leads just wouldn't reach. Took some sussing out!
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

I am a bit confused re why one needs to change the type of king lead if swapping from Green to Grey (or visa versa) as per Brickwerks words =

[E D I T = Seems it does not say this on the Brickwerks site, but I am sure it did ;)]

However, the grey coil is not a direct swap/replacement unless you also change the HT lead connection.

They are both listed as having the more modern type connection with the centre pin :?

Just trying to clarify what is different between the physical connections on Green V Grey coils.
Last edited by ghost123uk on 28 May 2014, 10:19, edited 1 time in total.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

I can't see how they can be different either. I can see early/late swaps being a problem but not between green and grey later ones as they're both PIN. I have removed it in the absence of better information.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

I am a bit confused re why one needs to change the type of king lead if swapping from Green to Grey (or visa versa) as per Brickwerks words =

However, the grey coil is not a direct swap/replacement unless you also change the HT lead connection.

They are both listed as having the more modern type connection with the centre pin :?

Just trying to clarify what is different between the physical connections on Green V Grey coils.

Where does it say this?
I'll E D I T it.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

Simon Baxter wrote:

Where does it say this?
I'll E D I T it.

Umm, sorry Simon, I cannot find it now (looked around for ages) :? I am pretty sure that would have been a direct cut and paste, but obviously summat got screwed somewhere :roll: I have edited my post ^^^ to reflect the error.

bigherb

Post by bigherb »

The original early coil is also a green sticker version.