installing solar power in a westy

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

keytouch
80-90 Mem No: 4484

Re: installing solar power in a westy

Post by keytouch »

The link I gave seems to have a bit more info than the usual manuals. It intimates that red light is on if no battery on second connection.

Get your starter battery connected to the second battery connection.
Jonathan

A Camper called Wanda
1983 A reg Bilbo Marlfield conversion, 1900 Diesel 1Y engine

Doug T
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Doug T »

keytouch wrote:The link I gave seems to have a bit more info than the usual manuals. It intimates that red light is on if no battery on second connection.

Get your starter battery connected to the second battery connection.

Good thinking Bat man

shepster
80-90 Mem No: 1342

Post by shepster »

Doug T wrote:l have 2 x leisure batteries wired up in parallel, So I cant connect the second battery to the 2nd out let.

Why not?

I've got the same set up and if I disconnect 1 batt I get the same fault, connect them up as if there was only 1 and the light will turn green.
2.1 DJ running on carb and LPG.

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

whats the biggest panel someone has put on their roof? I have seen there is now a 250w semi flexible panel available. Size wise it would just fit from skylight to the end of the roof, and is a little bit narrower than the roof is wide. My thinking is with one that big, if the angle isn't quite right or its a bit shady you should get decent power out of it still.
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

I would rather have 3 smaller ones so that one doesn't lose it all if one were damaged. Also they used to function so that if one cell was completely covered by a leaf you would lose the output from the whole panel, I don't know if that is still the case. It would be a disappointment to lose the output of one large panel like that.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

your probably right, i really want to get one of the folding portable type. Its just if i'll ever bother taking it out of the bag and using the thing! :D

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Better permanent and up top out of sight. I was originally thinking of portable but my camper has been sat for four weeks and VROOOOM! started first time cos battery fully charged. Worth it for that alone. Otherwise you'll have a solar panel that for most of the time will be doing nothing.

Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

The only thing that puts me off the roof mounting is the fact I have a westy pop top, meaning I may find myself trying to camp to get sun on the panels rather than the best position for camping.

Winchweight
80-90 Mem No: 12697

Post by Winchweight »

I plan on having both for the very reason you eluded to. I have a 120w portable with miles of cable and I think I'll put a 60 - 100w (depending on size) to keep batteries stopped up when parked up etc. This way when camping I can hide under the trees with the panel out in full sun.

Ideally I need to make one that fits on the pop top and is C shaped to wrap,around the skylight as I have a roof rack on the rear half of the pop top.

I also need to work out how to wire it into the circuit, along with the external one....
http://www.thelittleredbus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VW 2.1 WBX DJ Syncro Doka - SOLD
VW 1.9 TDi AHU Syncro Camper

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Bear in mind that during the busiest time for campers (ie when theres actually some sun) its mostly overhead anyway. I don't bother angling mine (I can't, they're fixed) but even if I run the Propex all night, battery is back to fully charged before 9am. The other advantage with fixed is you don't have to keep watching out for light-fingered scrotes, don't need to pack it, remember to unpack it, and it'll keep your batteries in good order all Winter which is why I bought mine - sick of flat batteries in cold months.

Had to take mine off the road for a month to do work on it and when I put the key in it today, it whizzed over and started straight away. NO WAY would that have happened in the past. I was dead keen on portable to start with but glad I didn't now. You have to sit with it. These lightweight flexible ones are no bother stuck on top, no matter what you've got. In fact you can't even see mine unless you really look.

Two panels (you could just use one) = 200 watts (around £90 each) plus a dual solar controller (£19). With the time I've saved not having to stick a battery on a charger, plus the independence for off-grid camping, its cheap enough. Stuck mine down with builders-grade silicone sealant and finished outer edges (those you can see) with short length of cable trunking. Did the whole lot one Saturday. In fact my leisure isn't connected to the split charger anymore - not needed. I don't watch amps either. Whats the point, does the job.

Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

waltraud
80-90 Mem No: 5824

Post by waltraud »

I have one 100W glued to westy roof and never evr use hookup and always have radio on, phones charging, kids DVDs , all lights inside van are LED and most of the outside ones are too. Never looked back, don't care which way the sun is facing just works and is easily enough unless you need a compressor fridge in which case i'd get 2x 100w . I live in Hackney (i.e. full of scrotes looking to nick anything) and its been safe for 3 years now. In fact the only time anyone broke in was an old tramp to sleep in the van.
1983 1.9 Ivory Westy Joker

Westy End
80-90 Mem No: 7733

Post by Westy End »

was that me? i cant remember. :)
....========¬====¬
.../-/--|----||---\-----‴-----\
..#/__|__ ||__❚[\_____⌒ _\›
.|======|===[ ❑❑ΞⓦΞ❑❑]
[⎛⎞...|.....|⎛⎞ [ ‹=====›]
-⎝⎠\_|__ /⎝⎠ ⫅=====⫆⎠ (apologies to jed the spread)

badgerfax
80-90 Mem No: 2316

Post by badgerfax »

Just to add a question to this thread.

Just how have you guys fixed the flexi panels to the fibre glass roofs of your Westies?
Twist my nipple nuts and send me to Alaska.

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

Sikaflex apparently ... mines a solid but that's what most are using with the flexi's.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

mr_nunn
80-90 Mem No: 14273

Post by mr_nunn »

California Dreamin wrote:Sikaflex apparently ... mines a solid but that's what most are using with the flexi's.

Martin

Just finally had a 100W flexi panel delivered after watching this thread for about 2 years - a couple of follow-on questions about sticking it in place on Westy roof...

1. Is it the Sikaflex 512 stuff that people have used?

2. Is this done with a line of Sikaflex all the way round the edge?

3. Are there any worries about trapped moisture underneath? (Esp as mine will be going over one of the dips in the roof).

Thanks for any advice/tips!
1981 2.0L CU Westfalia pop-top