installing solar power in a westy

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Timwhy
80-90 Mem No: 9058

Re: installing solar power in a westy

Post by Timwhy »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:
Most controllers have 3 sets of terminals, panel, charge to battery and a load pair which are connected to the internal lvd circuit so that the load doesn't flatten the battery. The controller is built for drawing the load through hence 10A/20A/30A etc. rating which applies to the load just as much as the output of your panels.

This is the controller that was attached to my folding panel. I am not using it as I have a plug wired in the cabinet that goes to my Pro Star controller.
1987 Westy
What the Westy Wants,The Westy Gets

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_ ... ts=summary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

keith
80-90 Mem No: 5169

Post by keith »

ninja.turtle007 wrote:Mines done, I used a controller that I already had whilst I wait for a 20A controller and power meter to arrive.

I just need some sun! :ok

How did you route the cable Tom....did you lift the canvass trim and go underneath....
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

Down to the rear hing and under the canvas, through the upper bed, down between the window and wardrobe, through the join in the wardrobe outer skin, through the bottom of the wardrobe and over the water tank and into the small lower cupboard next to it. This is where the leisures battery on mine are.

The only internal holes I had to make were the two 6mm holes coming through the upper bed.
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

ronsrecord
80-90 Mem No: 7441

Post by ronsrecord »

That looks great Tom. What are the roof bars? And the panel?
Making hay while the sun shines!

2.1MV Club Joker, 1988, LPG/ petrol

keith

Post by keith »

ninja.turtle007 wrote:Down to the rear hing and under the canvas, through the upper bed, down between the window and wardrobe, through the join in the wardrobe outer skin, through the bottom of the wardrobe and over the water tank and into the small lower cupboard next to it. This is where the leisures battery on mine are.

The only internal holes I had to make were the two 6mm holes coming through the upper bed.

Makes sense....cheers
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

keith

Post by keith »

ninja.turtle007 wrote:Did your controller arrive Keith? I bought one from you link and I received an email about waiting for stock.

offered money back.....email about had to test the stock = sold them all but couldn't stop taking peoples money.....blaggers.

bought one from elsewhere today.
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

ninja.turtle007

keith wrote:
ninja.turtle007 wrote:Did your controller arrive Keith? I bought one from you link and I received an email about waiting for stock.

offered money back.....email about had to test the stock = sold them all but couldn't stop taking peoples money.....blaggers.

bought one from elsewhere today.

Where form Keith?

I bought another from eBay. Turned out to be the same company, using a different name and selling at a different price. So I have now paid for two and they are not available.

keith

Post by keith »

ive bought a 10 amp one.....from somewhere else.

the original seller has refunded me £5 for the inconvenience :roll: ....if I leave positive feedback.

dodgy gits..
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

keith

Post by keith »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221249713789? ... 1439.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bought this one now...
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

willpom
80-90 Mem No: 13043

Post by willpom »

keith wrote:the original seller has refunded me £5 for the inconvenience :roll: ....if I leave positive feedback.
I had a similar situation with a completely different product a couple of years ago. I turned the extra £10 refund for +ve feedback down and forwarded the email to Ebay. The seller was removed shortly after that :shock:

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

They are more likely to get positive feedback if they promptly repaid in full and apologized. Raise a dispute and get your money back in full and leave them negative feedback for trying to rip you off. I have no compunction about raising the matter with eBay with sharp practices - I caught out a German who had his mate shill bidding on some items I was after, I got him banned.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

Not a Westy clearly (it's a Viking roof), but my 100W panel arrived yesterday so I just had to throw it over the pop top this morning to get a feel for what it can do. At almost exactly 9am it's making almost exactly 1A at 21.5V (open circuit). In theory, at 95% conversion efficiency, an MPPT controller will turn that into 1.4A at 14.5V charging voltage. Not bad for watery February sun.

"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

ninja.turtle007

CJH wrote:Not a Westy clearly (it's a Viking roof), but my 100W panel arrived yesterday so I just had to throw it over the pop top this morning to get a feel for what it can do. At almost exactly 9am it's making almost exactly 1A at 21.5V (open circuit). In theory, at 95% conversion efficiency, an MPPT controller will turn that into 1.4A at 14.5V charging voltage. Not bad for watery February sun.

Laid flat in the sun on Monday my panel was producing 1.72A with the roof up it increased to 2.86A. This wasn't pointed directly at the sun.

keith

Post by keith »

Made a start today..

Panel on.

Cables to controller routed

Controller and meter fixed.

Need to route cables to two batteries now.....masking tape removed.

Need to swop out the screws for nice black ones too....these were all i had to hand
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

keith wrote:Made a start today..

Hehe - snap!

Just waiting for my meters to arrive from China to finish off the install. It's in and working, but I can't see how much it's making until I add my ammeters.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ