distributor testing

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sendiw
80-90 Mem No: 435

distributor testing

Post by sendiw »

Is there a way of testing my distributor. Its the electronic type. Theres no spark. Ive tested the coil with a ohmeter
That was ok. So now im thinking..module or dizzy. What is more likely? The leads and feeds and rotor and cap are okay. Has anyone got a dizzy to sell me?
Richie
Type25 2.0l a/c
Mem. No.435

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: distributor testing

Post by kevtherev »

The spark is generated by the coil
BUT>>> when the spark is triggered is decided by the hall sensor in the distributor.
this sends a signal to the ignition control unit, which in turn tells the coil to spark.

No spark at the king lead indicates a sensor failure.
please make sure you are sure the sensor is at fault, it's an expensive part, and non returnable (usually)
try a known good one first :ok
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

sendiw

Post by sendiw »

Thanks Kev, theres a place on ebay sells them.
Ignitionland :? About £30. Might give them a try after some more.
Tests. Will let you know how i get on.
Ps..thanks for all your hard work organising
The Busfest weekend. We had a great time and I
Think we have two converts now. My mates Terry and Steve
Were well impressed and will soon be looking for vans.
Richie
Type25 2.0l a/c
Mem. No.435

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

Check the system first before you start buying parts it easy to check it.

Just remove the centre HT lead from the distributor and hold it about 5mm away from a metal part of the engine or bodywork and away from the fuel system, remove the three pin plug from the distributor and probe a piece of wire into the centre pin of the plug, switch on the ignition and then scrape the other end of the wire along a metal part of the engine this should then produce sparks from the HT lead, if you get sparks then the rest of the ignition system is OK and the hall sensor is at fault. If you don't get sparks some other part of the ignition system is at fault. Before you replace the sensor check there is more than 5 volt across the two outside pins of the three pin plug.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

sendiw

Post by sendiw »

Spot on Bigherb
Just done those tests. Sure enough I got a big blue spark and had 11+ volts across the two outer pins.
Looks like I need a new hall sensor. will locate one asap and keep you posted.
Richie
Type25 2.0l a/c
Mem. No.435

sendiw

Post by sendiw »

ignitioncarparts.co.uk sell brand new distributors for the t3. you must give them the correct engine type. some of them are on offer on ebay for £59.00 with free postage or if have to go direct it costs a bit more. (the cu engine was not listed on their ebay shop site . ) so I phoned them up and they have a fuller list. I was told the caravelle distributor is the same so ordered that from ebay. I had to change the vacuum unit but it fitted fine and is working well. For the extra I would go direct if I had to do it again.
Here is the part no for the cu engine PDD6293. If you go to their site you can just enter your reg. number and it will list all the parts they can provide

http://www.ignitioncarparts.co.uk/PartD ... 293&s_vid=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

see repair kit here http://www.ignitioncarparts.co.uk/Produ ... PU2660.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this is useful
Richie
Type25 2.0l a/c
Mem. No.435