Under dash speakers

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

MagicWagon
80-90 Mem No: 0

Under dash speakers

Post by MagicWagon »

While my dash is out for pedal box replacement, I was thinking of adding under dash speakers. Any advice on make, model, type, size, location, orientation and/or pictures would be most welcome.
1983 2.0L Air Cooled Devon Moonraker

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Re: Under dash speakers

Post by Mr Bean »

Yes Not sure what you have in mind but even if it means extra faff on the bench make them easily connectable/removable without disturbing the dash.
OK Granny? (Possible :oops: smiley)
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

Troopy
80-90 Mem No: 13711

Post by Troopy »

I have a number of speakers in my bus :lol:

Currently I have 4 6x9" on the floor in the rear as I am waiting to fit the new interior. These will be bolted in a row to the roof section when it is done. There are 2 12" flat subs in the rear and another two 12" going in the roof section this weekend.

My advice is to put speakers in the back facing forward if possible as the sound quality is far better using the vans natural size and shape as a resonator :twisted:

I would imagine under dash speakers would point down and all the sound would be lost to the floor and even if pointing forward at an angle would be lost to the seats etc.

Good sound like good light needs a clean straight line or a judged angle of reflection to max its value :D
1987 1.6 TD

Troopy
80-90 Mem No: 13711

Post by Troopy »

Sorry, forgot to add that I don't have any speakers in the front.

Headunit is Sony XPlod (not sure of model)

The 6x9's are 500w Sony XPlod .

The flat subs are 2x 12" 1200w Auna driven by a 900w Fli amp and the new ones are 2x 1500w Edge subs with an integrated amplifier.

I have this set up because I love to hear the bass and it is missing on standard systems.

I have to say this is not about volume (me and my son can talk normally in the cab) it is about hearing all the sound your music has to offer!!!

E D I T: OK, sometimes its just to have it LOUD :twisted:
1987 1.6 TD