GPS speedo - Arduino?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ash1293
80-90 Mem No: 16013

Re: GPS speedo - Arduino?

Post by ash1293 »

bigbadbob76 wrote:That sounds like a good buy for that price. any chance of a pic Ash?
I probably couldn't make one for that £££.

Not sure the trip/odometer is working exactly as it should however the speedometer is perfect for what I want.
Might at a later date paint bezel matt black/dark grey if the chrome bothers me too much.
Did think about stripping its guts and trying to mount without housing but in the end I didn't think it was worth the hassle.

GPS Receiver is separate with usual connector - I just double sided tape to the side of the clock unit and it sits under the housing quite nicely.

This unit does have the option for additional warning lamps - I did take the chance to wire up a main beam tell tale as that was also obstructed by the steering wheel.

1990 1.9DG 34DAT carb Leisuredrive hightop

bigbadbob76
80-90 Mem No: 15707

Post by bigbadbob76 »

That's a steal at £15.
I'd be tempted to pull the guts out of it and put it in a square bezel.... hmmmm... strokes beard in a thoughtfull way...
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.

ash1293
80-90 Mem No: 16013

Post by ash1293 »

bigbadbob76 wrote:I'd be tempted to pull the guts out of it and put it in a square bezel...

That had crossed my mind but finding an appropriate bezel and then the possibility of not being able to gut it sucessfully I thought bugger it and just installed as a whole unit.

Although a bargain a lot of the other input wires had been chopped short, there was a remote trip/mode button but this did not appear to do anything anyway. The odometer can be reset by a pin on rear however it doens't appear to record properly as theres no way I've covered the 685 miles it states. The trip is supposed to reset on power down/up but I'd say thats nearer what Ive covered since installation.

I suppose a later date install revision may see me attempt to make a panel to replace lower blanks on dash and create a square bezel which could in this case obscure the questionable Odometer/trip as all I really wanted was an easy glance speedo under the steering rim.
1990 1.9DG 34DAT carb Leisuredrive hightop