Side light flashes when indicator should

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

paulandchez
80-90 Mem No: 12181

Side light flashes when indicator should

Post by paulandchez »

Right.....before I spend hours belling out the wiring, is there any common places this could happen? When I operate the right indicator, the rear one works, the front one doesn't but the front right side light operates instead. Relay obviously goes berserk too.

Any thoughts guys?

Thanks

Paul
T25 Westfalia 2.0l Aircooled 1980 in a nice beige colour with a bit of antique steel thrown in

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Re: Side light flashes when indicator should

Post by Sir Brixalot »

I'd start with the swapping the light switch it's a n easy job. Been through a few myself. Could be a blown/loose bulb or rusty earth but do far for me its always been the switch
Last edited by Sir Brixalot on 15 Oct 2017, 07:30, edited 1 time in total.
Honorary "Dave" 

Da dan
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Da dan »

Double check earths

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulandchez
80-90 Mem No: 12181

Post by paulandchez »

Well.....I had a good look around, moved the fuse box out of the way so I could see the wires coming in etc. Couldn't find anything obvious, but moving the wires around at the back of the dash clearly moved the problem, as it's now fixed :?

Slightly worrying that something somewhere appears to be shorting out, but nothing seems wrong
T25 Westfalia 2.0l Aircooled 1980 in a nice beige colour with a bit of antique steel thrown in

bigbadbob76
80-90 Mem No: 15707

Post by bigbadbob76 »

I've seen this before on other vehicles, as DA dan says, it's usually an earth problem.
Moving the fuse panel may have disturbed the earth crown on the bulkhead behind the fuses, the earth wires on this often get corroded and are well worth cleaning up.
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.

mike9009
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by mike9009 »

I had exactly the same this time last year.

Our windscreen seal was leaking/ rusty. Water on to earth point and fuse box was causing the short. We have since had the windscreen out and repaired and problem has gone too....

Mike

garyd
80-90 Mem No: 2934

Post by garyd »

When you get this effect on the tail lights it is easier to explain. However, I suspect the same is happening at the front.

The rear lamp groups each share a common earth. If this is bad, and you apply voltage to the indicator lamp it cannot flow immediately to ground. Instead, it will flow into the ground/earth wire of the brake lamp, through the brake filament to the (common) brake +ve wire, across the vehicle to the other brake filament then to earth from there. So, instead of a bright indicator showing, you get two dim brake lamps. If the brakes are on, the indicator just won't light.

I suspect that the front indicator and side light share a common earth route somewhere and a similar thing is happening.
Garyd

1990 Transporter syncro camper
2 litre AGG 'GTi' engine