Fitting Dab Radio and aerial

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

JackE
80-90 Mem No: 12479

Fitting Dab Radio and aerial

Post by JackE »

Hi I am planning on fitting a dab radio and aerial.

I was just wondering if anyone has any tips re-cable routing for both power from the leisure battery under the passenger seat and for the aerial (not sure what the best option is).

Planning on getting a fuse box like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-6-Way-Cir ... SwWTRWuMiJto put near the battery, any tips on how to make good connections etc would be great too. I have read the wikihttp://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Ca ... re_battery- but don't understand the need for the toggle switch and wiring to the starter battery?

Thanks
1.9 DG petrol and open loop LPG Autosleeper Hightop. 1988

tonytech
80-90 Mem No: 477

Re: Fitting Dab Radio and aerial

Post by tonytech »

I have a dab radio, but I dont have a leisure battery, so my radio sits in the dashboard and takes power from the original feed.
My aerial has a magnetic base. I unscrewed the aerial from the base and added a small (1inch) right angle strip of metal (the sort hardware shops sell for fixing kitchen cupboards etc) to turn the aerial 90 degrees.
The base now attaches to the LHS A pillar with the aerial running upwards parallel to the pillar.
I set this up until I could route the aerial outside (2years ago), but I get great reception and it cant be broken or pulled off by the local wildlife.
I use the existing external aerial for FM reception (although I keep it retracted 95% of the time)
T
There are 10 kinds of people. those who understand Binary and those who dont

nesty
80-90 Mem No: 4023

Post by nesty »

Yes I have a good tip!

I completely re-wired all my auxiliary stuff to a completely new circuit. Heater, water pump, lighting, stereo etc.

Firstly, I installed the below. I fitted this to the bulkhead just below my orignal fusebox (you have to cut a piece out of the glove compartment to allow it to shut). vehicle products do a smaller 6 way version now!

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/p ... y-fuse-box" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wire the leisure battery directly to this fusebox positive feed use very thick wire. (I have 2 additional traction batterys in a loop, so I never ever pay for electric hook up).

Wire an additional decent earth to the fusebox earth point and then all you ever have to do is just wire any positive extra auxiliary to this fuse box and place the correct rating fuse.

All done!
Holdsworth Villa2 1983 1.9 DG, 4 Speed, LPG & Petrol+underslung leisure tank

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

When I fitted DAB in my camper I opted for the glass mounted window antenna , basically a foil antenna on a clear plastic self adhesive strip , which I mounted inside the high top directly onto the fibreglass and then replaced the insulation and trim , it's up the top, inside and works a treat ..... But unless you have a Hitop no use to you at all !
Well, unless you want to put it on the inside of the window screen where it is designed for .

Mine is powered from the leisure battery when the engine isn't running , when it is , it's powered by the main battery via a 5 pin relay triggered by the alternator .
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

VWKat
80-90 Mem No: 13186

Post by VWKat »

HI, I have a dab radio and the antenna I mounted on the front windscreen on the passenger side. It works well.

I also installed a leisure battery and all the electrics Barr the starter should run directly from the leisure battery, this includes the whole fuse box. It's the auxiliary cable that should go to the leisure battery, plus any other spare wires going directly to the main battery (then you can add a secondary fuse box for those if required). The starter cable is the only cable that should be connected directly to the starter battery, along with the connecting cable to the isolator switch.

The switch you should connect to a live that is only live when the ignition is on. Then it will 'switch' and connect the starter battery, to allow both batteries to charge while the engine is running.

When ignition is off, the starter battery is isolated and therefore will always remain charged to start the van.

Does that make any sense?..phew!
Early 1985 1.9 WBX Autosleeper Camper

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

Is the reception good with the DAB radios? And does it get a good signal on your travels?
My lovely new windscreen with built in aerial got broke during recent work, and now my fm signal is crap. So dab radio and stick on aerial sounds the best next option for me.
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

irishkeet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2322

Post by irishkeet »

tonytech wrote:I have a dab radio, but I dont have a leisure battery, so my radio sits in the dashboard and takes power from the original feed.
My aerial has a magnetic base. I unscrewed the aerial from the base and added a small (1inch) right angle strip of metal (the sort hardware shops sell for fixing kitchen cupboards etc) to turn the aerial 90 degrees.
The base now attaches to the LHS A pillar with the aerial running upwards parallel to the pillar.
I set this up until I could route the aerial outside (2years ago), but I get great reception and it cant be broken or pulled off by the local wildlife.
I use the existing external aerial for FM reception (although I keep it retracted 95% of the time)
T

Tony do you have any pics, I also planning a DAB and I have got rid of the original aerial so Interested to see how you fitted yours

cheers
irishkeet
------------------------
1985 Doka 1.9 DG 4 Speed Box
---
1986 Fakefalia Syncro Subaru EJ25

tonytech
80-90 Mem No: 477

Post by tonytech »

Not the best photo, Ill try and do some others later.
http://www.pbase.com/tonytech/image/163024783

I still have my existing aerial, as this one only does digital.
As said, reception seems fine, but I havent tried it in the middle of nowhere
T
There are 10 kinds of people. those who understand Binary and those who dont

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

lloydy wrote:Is the reception good with the DAB radios? And does it get a good signal on your travels?
My lovely new windscreen with built in aerial got broke during recent work, and now my fm signal is crap. So dab radio and stick on aerial sounds the best next option for me.

It's far better now than before the anologue TV switch off !
I tried one a few years ago and it was dire , but now pretty much everywhere has DAB coverage , and it's constant , not hit and miss like it was a few years back ....
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

Thanks, i may well give one a go.

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

Post by scottbott »

have a look at 'Dab Motion' it is pretty good have had mine for about three years and you can keep your existing radioDABmotion in-car wireless digital radio interface
http://www.dabmotion.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DABmotion is an in-car audio adaptor that offers a flexible and effective method to integrate digital audio DAB to your existing AM/FM in-car audio.
‎How it Works - ‎Buy DABmotion - ‎Log In - ‎Videos
Nil carborundum illegitimi

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

Looks interesting, but is more expensive than a lot of dab radios cost

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

Post by scottbott »

yes but you can take it out and transfer it to another vehicle,apart from the aerial
Nil carborundum illegitimi

JackE
80-90 Mem No: 12479

Post by JackE »

Thanks for all your help will update you when I final decide what to do.

Thanks
1.9 DG petrol and open loop LPG Autosleeper Hightop. 1988

kevin930
80-90 Mem No: 15373

Post by kevin930 »

Hi
Does your existing radio have a aux in facility. Mine had, so I just bought a standard 3.5mm aux cable and downloaded the radioplayer app to my iPhone and now I have a dab radio for the cost of cable.
1990 tin top converted panel van/aaz engine