Fuses!

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Devon Pete
80-90 Mem No: 0

Fuses!

Post by Devon Pete »

I seem to spend many cold evenings tracking down a blown fuse for one thing or another, usually the westy camping kit. Is it usual for fuses to blow regularly? I'm starting to think the wiring needs a full overhaul, or perhaps there is a simple solution? Any views would be appreciated. :x

Cheers
Pete - California Westy Hightop (1990) 1.9tdi

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Re: Fuses!

Post by California Dreamin »

No its not usual ....but are we talking 'random' or 1 or two fuses in particular? blower/wipers is a common one with a seizing heater blower.

Blowing fuses indicates high current flow or short to ground so needs sorting but one would hope that this isn't just random and is isolated to just one or two fuses.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

Devon Pete

Post by Devon Pete »

Thanks for that, seems to be pretty random, but its getting to the point of being very annoying. Seems to mainly be the camping kit.

WLC

Post by WLC »

Devon Pete wrote:I seem to spend many cold evenings tracking down a blown fuse for one thing or another, usually the westy camping kit. Is it usual for fuses to blow regularly? I'm starting to think the wiring needs a full overhaul, or perhaps there is a simple solution? Any views would be appreciated. :x

Cheers

Well, probably just the circuits that blow fuses :-)

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

Has any wiring been moved/changed recently? Where are the fuses located that you are talking about?

California Dreamin

Also...'Camping Kit' original westy....if its like mine then there are just the two fuses on the B post behind the drivers seat. Eberspacher blow heater and the kitchen block fuses.
Are there extra fuses that have been added & what are they for? what are their ratings?

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

Devon Pete

Post by Devon Pete »

I have the two main fuses on the B pillar, but there are also two fuses between the B pillar and the leisure battery. Sounds like some tampering has happened in past?? Interestingly, I replaced a 15 amp fuse running off the leisure battery (between that and the B pillar) and it fixed the control panel on the cooker unit (showing leisure battery charge), the water pump for the tap and the rear fog light! Is this as odd as it's beginning to sound? Would it be helpful if I took a few pics?

Devon Pete

Post by Devon Pete »

Maybe one of the issues is that the wrong ampage fuse has been installed. Not sure how you would test for the right one!? Any ideas?

WLC

Post by WLC »

Devon Pete wrote:I replaced a 15 amp fuse running off the leisure battery (between that and the B pillar) and it fixed the control panel on the cooker unit (showing leisure battery charge), the water pump for the tap and the rear fog light!

Who's a lucky boy then ;-)

California Dreamin

Standard two fuse 'Continental' fuse holder (bullet type fuses)
Red 16amp fuse closest to the cupboard.
White 8amp fuse closest to the door is for the kitchen block.

These old style fuse holders aren't the most reliable, the fuse ends tarnish causing resistance and heat, the heat causes the brass spring contacts to loosen further increasing resistance and heat.
It is not unusual to see 'melted' fuses for the above reasons. Note* be very wary of cheap 'plastic' bullet fuses, the better ones are ceramic and don't melt. I haven't done mine yet but I am going to change my fuse box for a newer 'blade' type which are more reliable.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV