Swapping Lock Barrel in Sliding Door Handle ?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Mickyfin
80-90 Mem No: 10312

Swapping Lock Barrel in Sliding Door Handle ?

Post by Mickyfin »

Hi everyone, hope you are well, the weekend is almost upon us, so wish you a great weekend.!

My sliding door handle is snapped, and after acquiring a replacement from the U.S.A (Short version), I would like to know how I would go about swapping the lock barrel over so I can continue to use the one key for all my locks.

Has anyone got experience in doing this, and if so, could you tell me how it's done, or point me in the right direction to a guide should there be one please?

Thanks in advance :ok
Owner of Flintstone, our T3/25 Caravelle C Syncro 1.9 Petrol.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Swapping Lock Barrel in Sliding Door Handle ?

Post by Aidan »

put key in lock, find the small grub screw hole perpendicular to the lock either facing the opposite direction to the handle or the same way, unscrew grub screw and remove lock cylinder, be aware there's a spring at the bottom, reassembly is the opposite, you may need to use a screwdriver to start the cylinder moving out, key needs to be in to align tumblers to flush position

Mickyfin

Post by Mickyfin »

Excellent, thanks Aidan. You have a PM from me btw regarding software.

Mickyfin

Post by Mickyfin »

Ok, so I managed to source an exterior sliding door handle, but sadly no key was supplied.

Anyone know how to change the barrel without the key?

Mickyfin

Post by Mickyfin »

Right, I have tried following some guides, but it looks like the small recessed screw in this handle I purchased has been butchered, and rounded off.

I guess I have three options...

1. Get key cut from the number shown in the photo below which is on the inside of the handle (End part with retainer screw).
2. Drill out the main lock, and small recessed scre?
3. Throw the handle in the bin.

Mickyfin

Post by Mickyfin »

Ok, sent Dan an PM on here who is mentioned in the WIKI about cutting a new key to the lock number. Here's the handle.. Number PM'd to Dan, blanked out in below photo for obvious reason.

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Post by BOXY »

If the grub screw has been abused just bear in mind the lock might have be re-tumbled already, and the number might not apply to the lock anymore. I've just fixed my door handle locks using the wafers out of a pair of old handles so the numbers on mine would be useless to a future owner.
Have you tried your keys in the "new" handle? My old door handles were so worn & gummed up you could open one with a Yale door key before the re-build. You might be lucky and your keys might fit the lock?
2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.

Mickyfin

Post by Mickyfin »

Thanks for the info, I have ordered a new key now anyway, so will try that first. I have already tried my ket, but to no avail. The lock does look OE though.

big red bus
80-90 Mem No: 3421

Post by big red bus »

So did you get the barrel of the lock removed from the slider handle?
Trying to strip mine down but to no avail yet.

Mickyfin

Post by Mickyfin »

No my friend, in this instance no, what I have done is ordered a key in reference to the handle lock code on the replacement.

As to removing the lock barrel itself, it should be easy enough providing you have the key. Put key in lock, and turn it fully anti-clockwise, then unscrew the flat head screwdriver type grub screw as seen below...(in yellow band)

BOXY

Post by BOXY »

I have ordered a new key now anyway

I hope the key fits. If it doesn't you might be able to spin the grub screw out using a drill running backwards. After I posted earlier I took mine off to clean up the tumbler. The screw is only about 7mm long so shouldn't put up too much resistance to being spun out using a slow rechargable drill in reverse. If you do get it out, like Aiden said there's a spring in the bottom of the chamber. When you refit it there's a slot on the side of the housing for it to fit through. Don't try putting it on the lock barrel and fitting back into the handle that way. If you do you'll spend 15 minutes gradually losing your temper and swearing.
2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.

big red bus
80-90 Mem No: 3421

Post by big red bus »

Got it stripped apart now. Grub screw hole was hiding. Full of 20+ years of crap. Just got to free off all the tumblers now and hopefullt it wil work. Thanks

BOXY

Post by BOXY »

This might be useful?
http://www.hallvw.clara.net/lockpart.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mickyfin

Post by Mickyfin »

Cheers Boxy, I managed to remove the grub screw in the end with your help. I couldn't prise, or moving anything though, its stuck solid. I will wait for the new key to arrive, and if it fits (fingers cross) all will be good, but if not, I will prepare for the swearing and blinding lol. :ok

BOXY

Post by BOXY »

With the grub screw out all that is holding the barrel in is the old sticky grease and maybe the very light pressure from the wafers. On your photo (below) the square lugs sticking out the sides are the bolt that the lock turns so that's where the barrel stops. On my lock between the bolt and the grub screw there is the rectangular hole that the spring fits through. You might be able to squeeze a small screwdriver past the spring and level the barrel up from underneath.
Or, and this is a guess, does the screw-hole that secures the handle to the door go right through or is it blind tapped? You might be able to push the barrel out with a pokey thing if it's tapped right through?