Swapping Lock Barrel in Sliding Door Handle ?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mikey9
80-90 Mem No: 3885

Re: Swapping Lock Barrel in Sliding Door Handle ?

Post by mikey9 »

Sorry - haven't been looking in.

It was not turning in the handle (at all - stuck fast).....but today - I was not to be defeated!

I got a little movement and the lock activators moving in and out a mm or so - so I just kept turning the key a little more with a bit more forcem - and poured 3 in 1 penetrating oil in through the various orifices - and applied more pressure....
Then put the handle with the key in the vice - and moved the handle - which gives more leverage - and then back to the va.

I managed to get enough movement to see the locking knob was being moved - but not enough to activate it...so back to the vice....and eventually - I gave it that little bit extra - and whoosh - around it wen t.........and out came the barrel (with key still in fortunatley - although my little rectangoles were going no-where). The pics above look clean compared with what came out of mine - there was a mm layer of crud along both sides of the springy slices - explaining why it wasn't turning - and many of the slices are stuck - so am now persuading them out - without getting them out of order.....

AT last - perseverance pays off. :ok
Mikey

Van for sale - see my For Sale Post

Member 3885

mikey9
80-90 Mem No: 3885

Post by mikey9 »

........and relax.

Thanks for the tips in this thread - we now have a working handle and I have a lot more knowledge :shock:

I had to drive the pins out with a drift to clean them up as they were so stuck in my barrel - some of the springs were also stick fast - so lots of WD40 and penetrating oil did the trick.

Getting that final spring back in took a good half hour - but again - thanks to the tips here - job done.
So first time for a few months we can open the slider without having to do the passenger door first.
Mikey

Van for sale - see my For Sale Post

Member 3885

Mickyfin
80-90 Mem No: 10312

Post by Mickyfin »

Glad you finally managed to sort yours our Mike, well done mate :ok
Owner of Flintstone, our T3/25 Caravelle C Syncro 1.9 Petrol.

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

Top thread guys, I have been scratching my head for a good while looking at how to get the barrel out and I didnt even notice the dimple where the grub screw was :lol:

Basically my van must have had a new handle fitted in its life and the key never fitted the lock so I had to keep reaching around the passenger door to unlock it from the inside all the time. When I pulled the tumbler out I just ran the grinder over pins that were all sticking out and it works a treat now.

This is a picture of where to put the spring back if anyone else refers to this in the same boat as us lot,

That was a very satisfying half hour job that should make life a little easier :mrgreen:

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

dansimpson
80-90 Mem No: 8552

Post by dansimpson »

Jed you are a heathen! Tumblers can be changed to suit the key :ok
1990 1.9dg tintop....back in the fold.....

jed the spread
Trader

Post by jed the spread »

dansimpson wrote:Jed you are a heathen! Tumblers can be changed to suit the key :ok

Yeh with a grinder :lol: It all looked abit delicate in there with all those little moving about bits and bobs and I did try the key from my Doka and that wouldnt open it so it has worked (luckily)

I couldnt find much on here on how to do it though, do you know how its done? Be a good chap and whack it up if you get a minute as it would be handy to find out as I fancy having a go at the front door locks now.

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

you need a tumbler set from VW £50ish does 16 locks, my set is currently in South Wales with either Rich or Lee

jed the spread
Trader

Post by jed the spread »

Aidan wrote:you need a tumbler set from VW £50ish does 16 locks, my set is currently in South Wales with either Rich or Lee

Awesome, I am hooking up with them at the weekend :lol:

(PS I got that thing done today, its not as bad as we thought but will need you to fettle abit with it still :wink:)

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

dansimpson
80-90 Mem No: 8552

Post by dansimpson »

Jed have a lookie here

http://www.hallvw.clara.net/lockpart.htm

Oh and ignore the bit about not being able to do tailgate or ignition, theres a pin that needs drifting out rather than a grub screw :ok
1990 1.9dg tintop....back in the fold.....

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Jed, not great idea simply grinding off tumblers that stick out on barrel. You're simply increasing the range of keys (other peoples) that can now open the lock. Much wiser to re-tumble it properly.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

waltraud
80-90 Mem No: 5824

Post by waltraud »

I just did my ignition and tailgate which, with one spare barrel from an old lock i ws able to tumble pretty much ok withouyt lots oif extra bits- i'm guessing it depends upon luck as much as anything as to what size and type of 'bits' you might need to fit the key you want to use. i did take a tiny bit of metal off one or two edges which as's been said is not best for security- BUT bearing in mind anyone who wants to get in with a screwdribver and hammer wil do so anyway its more for for pleasure than security that i did mine. Nice not to carry extra keys though. T
1983 1.9 Ivory Westy Joker

Jayjaysee
80-90 Mem No: 12629

Post by Jayjaysee »

I managed to make my cab doors and sliding door match the ignition key. Bliss! Just the tailgate to do now.
Great thread :-)
Westfalia Joker 2.0 Aircooled called Whinne (the Pooh)

bmouthboyo
80-90 Mem No: 9396

Post by bmouthboyo »

Hope it's OK jumping in here but don't suppose you know where I can get a replacement grub screw for the sliding door barrel? Mine was seized solid so have to drill out. I can tap a thread but not sure if there are replacement screws? Or if anyone knows the size and length I might be able to tap and screw in another one.

Even after a good clean my barrel would not allow the tumblers to push out when the key was removed, too tight with corrosion so ordered a new one.
1983 Autosleeper Trooper - 1.8 Gti Conversion

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

I need to replace the barrel on my sliding door handle, anyone know who can supply a barrel preferably with a key (not too bothered about having different keys) ?
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

adie89
80-90 Mem No: 11532

Post by adie89 »

AngeloEvs wrote:I need to replace the barrel on my sliding door handle, anyone know who can supply a barrel preferably with a key (not too bothered about having different keys) ?
I think I got mine from JK and then refitted my old tumblers after cleaning up, just using the new barrel and springs
Greta: 85’ LHD 2.5L Subaru 14in Syncro
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=165773