Syncro xrissvagon

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

waltraud
80-90 Mem No: 5824

Re: Syncro xrissvagon

Post by waltraud »

Mike- very impressive as ever, can't wait for the next installment and end product, i've taken to 'your' ideas of drilling several holes into sections for letting in to spot in place and works very well- thanks a lot for the B post support pieces you sent, have done one side although slightly concerned that my 100amp SIP mig (now 23 yrs old and going well) might not have enough penetration on that thick steel- will see when i try to jack it up again! Funny how many go in the same place and then somnething comes along with a different set of problems- must keep you interested? cheers, Tim
1983 1.9 Ivory Westy Joker

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

well had the loving task of grit blasting today, funny how it finds its way into orifices,
I have only blasted the seams, the rest of the panals are as stripped leaving the factory coat intact, which is one of the benefits of chemical stripping as opposed to sanding off which is an absolute no no down to metal.
have etch primed and treated the seams with suitable products.
this is the lower nsr 1/4 and as you can see it has a slight hole or will have when ive picked at it with the hammer so have left treating this as it will be welded and then leaded.
will now remove as many dints as possible and fill/lead as required prior to prepping for paint
Waltraud, glad the panals are fitting ok, Im sure your mig is up to what your doing and glad your making progress.
mike

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

Those seams are looking beautiful!! Very nice work.
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

Mickyfin
80-90 Mem No: 10312

Post by Mickyfin »

Great work, and attention to detail Mike, I have this to do on my Syncro, although mine is pretty straight with some light seem rash, so won't have to do the complete stripping lark like yourself, but interested in the etch primer used for your seams?
Owner of Flintstone, our T3/25 Caravelle C Syncro 1.9 Petrol.

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

the grinding marks which are quite noticable are mainly from the previouse repairs/filler etc, there is more treatment to do on the seams but this coating is to keep it rust free while other work is done around it.
M

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

I'm quite excited about seeing this one finished. Hurry up micky :lol:
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

well get your own up here then :twisted:
Right had a better look at the o/s arch and decided that much as I didnt want to remove genuine metal there was little choice, as had been said this van appeared to have been close up to something and pushed the arch in and the previouse owner? had it done and the grinding took a lot more metal off, also found it so thin that a split was along one edge near the return to the wheel.
So
cured it
if there was just the odd hole then it could be brased and then leaded but its way too far gone
whilst I was checking in the engine bay /battery area for problems burning whatever I came across this
it would appear to be so frugal that a fuel retun line does not need connecting :shock:
anyhow old arch is now gone and have unpicked the spots and will clean up the surfaces ready for whatever goes in its place
mike

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

metalmick8y wrote:well get your own up here then :twisted:
:
mike
Would love too, especially as I might (big might) be getting a deadecated off road one.....
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

well back to it, been delayed as awaiting certain parts to be sourced and othe r matters :D so on to the rear valance which had a small area of corrosion dealt with but a delve, not delph, , had to get to the back of it so of with the sumpguard and then the silencer.........
just for this little bit
its got the skirts and allplus a very nice westy tow bar but this can still be seen so spreader in and pushed it out a bit and getting it something like
couldnt use the miracle puller as its a floppy panal so nothing to grip against as such, anyhow knocked it out as good as Im able and a run over with the grinder, will smooth a little nmore and then at it wityh the da.
exhaust back on, noticed that its hada bit of bracket modification... but all mountings are good with no strain on the rubbers so all should be well,
sump guard back on, noticed that the long bolt securing the rear guard to the longtitudanal ones is stripped so will replace with anut and lonnnnnnng bolt.
pickies not brilliant as camera needs to be reset to as built spec cos I played with it and it takes carp pickies now :oops:
M

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

Dunno how I missed this. Are you keeping it or selling it afterwards? With your reputation for bodywork this van has got to be worth a good few quid when finished.

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Wewll first I must oppologise for the pickies but I have a new fuji camera and its either got a fault or Ive set it wrong, back to the shop next week. so phone pickies.....
started of with the small hole on the nsr wing bottom,
made a very small plate and sat this behind then welded from the front
this makes it structurally sound so tinned it up and lead going on
As we know its good metal behind and the seam is good I have leaded over the whole of it, now worked a little and the seam formed in the lead
now a file over and further work to make the seam acceptable and its ready for paint prep etc
not being rude but if it was a classic vehicle that was having a more serious resto then this leading could be much neater, but as is I think will be ok

This is the the lecky socket hole with first load of lead on
Because of the risk of panal distortion this has to be done quick as in 10-15 secs and done , think I got away with it,
next picky is too black so not posted it but didnt spend any time making good molten just got it on and filed it off.

The osf door needed to come off, well they all will for painting but there are issues on this side , on the way to doing this I did the usual 'stand on a step and try pull the seatbelt of the arch test' I won again :rofl
so thats another job, at least there is no expansion tank in the way.

Now there was a small area of rust at the base of the a post
at first glance it would look worse than it really is, anyhow removed the very nice rubber strip via the hinge screw hole,
note that when it was last blown over this wasnt removed as its got loads of paint on it
anyhow back to the rust stain
the sponge sort of stops water and shy-te getting chucked up there but it also keeps there whatever finds its way in, note the small sykes pick't hole finder
rest of the step seems good so will remove all rusty bits back to good clean steel and make a piece to let in as I wish this to be an invisible repair, or as near as I can to it
m

Mickyfin
80-90 Mem No: 10312

Post by Mickyfin »

Its good to see a proper job being carried out, and with a cuppa on standby to boot. :ok Keep up the good work mate, loving your updates.!
Owner of Flintstone, our T3/25 Caravelle C Syncro 1.9 Petrol.

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well I will do this in 2 goes as there are a good few pickies...
this the seat belt mount from top side
this from under with the sealant cut off
Ive unpicked the bit you can see which is part of the arch when built and also cut of part of it.
The new mounting plates have different size holes to suit the application, I use 'Qmax' cutters, they're cheap enough and make a very nice clean hole.
I am making a panal to sit in the recess created and another to fit below this and its larger to be spotted through
this is with the 2 spotted together and the anchor nut welded to the underside
this leaves the bit that might be on view smooth and acceptable to nosey folks having a peek under the matting...
now welded back together
and treated and pimed
thats it for the seat belt mount.

Now if you look at the second picky you will see the spread of rust, I have always wondered about these areas, Ive had my suspicions , vw do trest and seal these very very well and I have decided that the problem is caused when the vans are fitted out from new and the seat belt is bolted trough this fitting , the bolt just does protrude through the nut and in so doing punctures the sealant and whilst its only a very small piercing , its enough over the years,many years to allow water in and so start the rusting process, its a design thing so stand on a stool and give your a yank :shock: its the best time to find out..
mike

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well now for the small bit of rust at the step area.
this area is lead :D
nice to see vw put this much care in, found it in a few other places too, this is with a bit of heat as I need it out of the way
same area with it wire brushed out the way
this is the yuk cut out
first bit made , bit tricky with the compound curve but good enough
now welded in, have kept the profile including the tiny little fold to the top of front seam
the inner part I couldnt do in one piece, well given a few hours but thats a bit pointless, so made it like this
the steps are in 2 parts so I have replicated this by making the inner part with a swage/joddled (on a stepped bed)and let this in flush up to the outer,then added a very small fillet to the outer part of the step and spotted this through as ,as built. I then ran a seam of brazing down here and also up the front part where the lead is going to go back
I will recut the centre seam a bit neater and more defined , also need to get the arbour in and clean up the coverd hole and also add a new one.
first planishing off
and
Will lead this back up tommorow.
quite a bit of fiddly work, Im not 100% happy with it but think it will be ok when done,
M

mm289
80-90 Mem No: 9111

Post by mm289 »

Making up awkward panels is such fun isn't it :shock:

So do you think that lead was from new then?

MM
'89 Autosleeper Trident
2.1 DJ
Member 9111