I do not like the look of this :(

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bmouthboyo
80-90 Mem No: 9396

I do not like the look of this :(

Post by bmouthboyo »

Hi everyone,

Just as I think the end is in sight and the van is ready for MOT and first trip, I decide to have a look more closely at the bodywork after spending so long on the mechanical side.

:cry:

"A picture tells a thousand words"

It seems that where the poptop has been screwed into the roof they did not treat it for rust.

OK so enough moaning about it.

How can this be fixed?
Rough cost of getting a pro to do it? / hours work involved?
Is the poptop roof easily removed?

Any help much appreciated, Thanks :cry:
1983 Autosleeper Trooper - 1.8 Gti Conversion

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Re: I do not like the look of this :(

Post by jamesc76 »

pop top off and get the top cut out a scrapper van then weld that in bet bet bud!
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

fullsunian
80-90 Mem No: 5092

Post by fullsunian »

Well if its any help, I cant see it failing an MOT for that rot...
Mmm what's that strange smell from my exhaust...

bmouthboyo

Post by bmouthboyo »

jamesc76 wrote:pop top off and get the top cut out a scrapper van then weld that in bet bet bud!

Any idea where I can get that section from? Rough cost of part and then welding?

Pretty clueless when it comes to bodywork. I read on another thread someone recommended filling holes with body mastic?? http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=69253

Also are the rubber seals for the pop top available anywhere?

Thanks

bmouthboyo

Post by bmouthboyo »

The second and Third pics are the areas that worry me most as they are rotten to the rubber so the corners will need fabricating.

I have found the lower corner replacment sections on websites but not the upper. Are they identical? Can I just buy lower right section for example and flip it for upper left? If not anyone know where I can source some?

Thanks

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

There have been threads about replacing rotten corners in the past. Try doing a few Searches with words like 'windscreen', 'rust', 'leak' etc. Also look in the club Wiki - might be something in there.
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

At the end of the day, it depends how big of a project you want this to become.
Once you start digging in to rust, you will find yourself with even bigger holes which is very daunting at first, but very rewarding when it is all replaced with new metal.
I think the "fill it with mastic" advice is only a short term thing or if you don't necessarily care that your roof is rusty and you just want to keep most of the water out. Mastic would possibly even accelerate the rust by trapping the moisture in there.
Nothing is impossible....first port of call would be to cut the sections out of another van (http://www.volksheaven.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), second port of call would be to buy repair sections from JK or AH Scholfields if available, third option is to fabricate the patches from sheet metal (not actually as difficult as it sounds)
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

A good welder could make most of that up as he (or she - lets get it right) went along. Thats pretty much how I rebuilt my bottom corners. A section from another van would help a lot though:

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Bo ... well_leaks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, to do that job properly needs screen out. Not much point doing top unless you do bottom either. You also need to protect interior from hot molten sparks! Even the grinding creates a lot of dust...

If the top is in that state, rest assured the bottom will be too.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

bmouthboyo

Post by bmouthboyo »

Cheers Cov,

Yea I have replacment rubber for screen so want it out to do a proper job. I have a feeling the pop top will have to come off also.

Its an autosleeper trident conversion, will the pop top come off easily? Know where I can buy replacement rubber seals for it?

I have been quoted 8 - 10 hours at £30 to fix the corners and holes if its not too rotten along the seam. Sound right?

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

saw somewhere the other day where you could buy a new front section, shall have a look

Found it vw heritage, £500 but genuine vw
http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_act_shop.p ... try_GB.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

bmouthboyo

Post by bmouthboyo »

Thats not too bad considering, but prob need a lot of hours welding?

I only need the upper window screen bit, can't find that part anywhere. :(

bmouthboyo

Post by bmouthboyo »

Also sorry to sound dumb but if I was to email breakers etc asking for this part what would I ask for in technical terms.

In my own words I would say the part above the window screen going back 6" onto the roof and 6" down each of the pillars.??

Would I need to replace right the way through the area to the inside or is it the outer layer?

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Your description good enough for breakers (is how I would describe it lol). Think theres a rib (double thickness) on that very front section. Might get away with just using outer skin but needs stripping so you can see whats corroded. Looks as though rust will have affected both layers by pics. Get wet mats/floors by any chance?
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

bmouthboyo

Post by bmouthboyo »

I have been given a price of £100 for this section I need from a breaker. Is this good providing the corners are in good nick?

Cheers

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

I'd say acceptable - especially if they have to cut it all out for you. Get as much of the section as you can though - better to have too much than too little.