Paint Your Wagon - with a roller!

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Horney
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Horney »

"Q: 17. Can I get Rust Bullet® in other colors?
A: No. Unlike paint producers, we are not interested in decoration; rust/corrosion protection and prevention is our only goal. However, if you wish to apply a decorative finish over the final coat of Rust Bullet®, any conventional paint will work for this purpose. "

Ha ha ha I love the Is our only goal comment!

Nick

booster24
80-90 Mem No: 1803

Post by booster24 »

Ordering my paint to roller next week, will post pics when done, can't wait. Only problem is if it looks good ( which it will) my mate wants me to help do his bay :roll: . Shoping list will include lowering kit, white walls with new buety rings and chrome hubs, new bumpers and end caps with the bumpers chromed, new seats with surf covers and generaly pimped up ready for the Brighton breeze, I stripped and ripped it apart and sprayed etc 4 years ago and it still looks ok but a few patches of rust have come through, the new hightop that I fitted at the weekend looks good too. :)

hobbit

Post by hobbit »

:) nice paint job m8,. How long did it take to find the right paint that was suitible for the job. and were there any other paints that you thought of useing or have tried.
Ive read all on here and its brill.

ding-dang-dhu
80-90 Mem No: 3927

Post by ding-dang-dhu »

Very very impressive!

Got me thinking now! Really fancy giving this a go.

Cheers
Pete (Half man, half horse)

As cunning as a fox, that's just graduated from Oxford with a degree in cunning

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

There is no comparison to Combi-color Rustoleum. As you say, Rust- Bullet isn't available in the complete range of colours.

Poor conditions to paint outdoors though folks - unless you really like that squashed-fly garibaldi look. Spring is ideal, otherwise its really an indoor job at the moment. If you have no choice, start early in the morning when the bugs aren't awake! Tweezers are well worth keeping to hand though.

I really need to put the finishing coats on mine but I'm concentrating on getting the interior sorted as I've converted from a Caravelle 7-seater to a no-top camper van. Material for the curtains (selected with help from sister) came to over £100 today at Dunelm (choke), but I figure final coats can wait a year if need be. Thats the great thing about this method - you can paint as and when.

Lets see more photos!

"WEAZLECHIN"

Post by "WEAZLECHIN" »

tweezers :lol: yep, tweezers and a steady hand are paint essentials.even when painting indoors the little b@stards find an entry point and head straight for your lovely fresh paint, reminscent of kamikaze pilots :evil:

jigs
80-90 Mem No: 4017

Post by jigs »

im very impressed with this the finish certainly looks good in the pics. as mine is needed painted im going to give this a go in the next few weeks. will post up pics as and when i get round to it.

CrankyBugs

Post by CrankyBugs »

THIS THREAD IS AMAZING..... thankyou thankyou thankyou...

i could really do with some help getting mine rust and scratch free cos i have had a bit of an isopon accident. bah.... but once i get there i think im going to paint my bus orange. :lol:
"where's the engine?"

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

I honestly think late Spring is the best conditions for the roller method. BUT do remember, the finish is in the flatting - unless you're not that bothered.

Re-read the thread and my notes in the WIKI several times, the day before you start, and find an old panel to practice on first - it does help. I would suggest 5 litres to be on the safe side and to allow for damage in the future. It takes around 3 litres to do a T25 but the extra is handy.

booster24
80-90 Mem No: 1803

Post by booster24 »

Everything is GREEN LIGHT! Ready to scuff up tonight as all the rust etc has been treated with the vactan. First roller coat going on Saturday morning (early), because our vans a two tone (top white bottom blue) then the next coat being the blue will be done Sunday morning, lowered it last weekend with new shocks and springs and the wheels are ready for the chrome bits now, all the windows had to come out but its worth it as the tin worm will only come back !

Lets get a rollering :D

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

Glenn77
What color code did you use? looks almost identical to the VW light blue I need..

Willoughby
80-90 Mem No: 3068

Post by Willoughby »

Thank you for ordering from Combination, your order has been successfully received and is now being processed. A copy of your order details have been sent to

A summary of your order can be seen below:

Order from account number: Kprunty
Contact Number:

7392 - CombiColor - Can (2.5 L) x 1 - RAL 9010 - @ £21.99 each
7378 - CombiColor - Can (750ml) x 1 - Matt Black - @ £10.65 each
7343 - CombiColor - Can (250ml) x 1 - RAL 1018 - @ £4.25 each

Thank you for choosing Combination!

Can't wait, Going to make my own white with a hint of RAL1018

Kev

glenn77
80-90 Mem No: 1646

Post by glenn77 »

I used 'Sky Blue' code is RAL 5015 on the combicolour web page
http://www.rustoleum.co.uk/?action=colourselect

Willoughby
80-90 Mem No: 3068

Post by Willoughby »

Hi All

Have done a colour test on the rear quarter, was getting a bit dark but amazed at how it went on.

Kev

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

:D Yup, and providing you had a reasonable go at dealing with any underlying rust, this paint will also help keep it at bay too.

Amazing finish isn't it? Put plenty of cardboard down and its relatively unmessy work to do, fitted in as and when. You watch the wagons that have been sprayed with conventional paint types and see how quickly rust bubbles up in say six months time!