Paint Your Wagon - with a roller!

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

"WEAZLECHIN"
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by "WEAZLECHIN" »

thats it, one of my sprinters needs some paint on it but i have nowhere to spray it, seeing the end results of rustoleum and a roller, who needs to spray it? that paint looks like REAL good stuff..........what time does poundland open :lol:

VWlewis
80-90 Mem No: 2852

Rustoleum Colour Chart - NOW in the WIKI

Post by VWlewis »

Oh, and 'VWLewis' - thats not the glossy full paint chart I've seen. Thats the one I already put in the WIKI. If anyone can get the full one - please scan it in. I have seen it - awesome.

Look at the bottom of this page for the links

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Bo ... tributions
VW Fan :D Learned to drive in a T2, then drove a T1, later a T4, then a T5 (and a few Audis and Passats)
Now a proud T3 Caravelle GL 2.1 DJ WBX owner: "Dora the Explorer" .. by my reckoning, a T15 Driver!
Dr T15 Speaks!

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Yes, definately decant into another tin. We're pretty adept at getting thinners right and its somewhere between 15% and 20% - conditions make a lot of difference. If you've never tried this before, find a scrap vehicle door or similar to make sure it rolls nice. Too thin and it'll run, too thick and you'll be rollering toffee!

99p for ASDA roller and tray is a bargain if its high density foam.

munnyella
80-90 Mem No: 2522

Post by munnyella »

Has anyone tried the silver or gunmetal colours?

Thinking of losing the lovely purple, but would like to keep with a metallic finish, just concerned about `patching' which can occur when rollering a non flat colour.

I am definately having a go at rollering anyway, paint chart is on its way, hoping they do a nice `havanna brown' too, Jo's scirocco needs a new coat, might cut my teeth on that!

Any thoughts on metallics would be welcome.

Cheers

Munnyella
My only toy now is a broken T25 and a sack full of BMX bikes. How the mighty have fallen (or got sensibler!!)

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

You won't be able to do metallics with a roller - can't see it. You could try on an old door first to see though. My guess is metallic will be spray only. The straight colours work fine but metalics are difficult to get right even with spraying and you have to stir regularly. All the flatting back required with roller painting would almost certainly spoil it.

Mind you, if anyone can pull that off, it paves the way for many possibilities...

"WEAZLECHIN"

Post by "WEAZLECHIN" »

i cant see it. even different spraygun pressures make the paint look different on different panels(especially silver) very hard to match. anyway you would need a glosscoat over it (sprayed on) ..... kinda defeats the object really. i wonder if anyone has ever done it though ???

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Tell you what Weazlechin, you and I could get a couple of deckchairs and go and WATCH someone have a go.

:lol:

Straight colours are easy to apply by roller, but imagine trying to get all the particles to go on evenly with metallic. Get into big flakes and you're in real trouble - hell even with a spraygun. Had experience of candy paint, flip-flop, crackle finish, all sorts over the years but you can't.beat the theraputic and somewhat satisfying noise of a roller. No fumes to mention of, no neighbour banging on the garage door because you're choking his pet dog, and ready to drive in a couple of hours...

Mind you, nothing to stop you going for a funky californian beach scene using stencils?

"WEAZLECHIN"

Post by "WEAZLECHIN" »

if it ever stops raining i really need to do my seams and put a ivory basecoat on, then gold sparkly 200 micron flakes in the glosscoat :shock: should be fun :? oh i wished i had somewhere indoors to do it. boohoo

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

Got the paint chart from Combicolor 2 days after emailing :D

munnyella
80-90 Mem No: 2522

Post by munnyella »

I shall sack the metallic idea then, I did roller silver smoothrite on my old beer fridge once, didn't look too bad, but obviously wasn't flatted back.

The colour chart came today, very close match to the scirocco brown, (but flat colour), so might have a crack at it in the autumn, then do the van in the spring, can't decide what colour now, too many to choose!

Thanks anyway

Munnyella
My only toy now is a broken T25 and a sack full of BMX bikes. How the mighty have fallen (or got sensibler!!)

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Hammerite isn't easy with a roller - very different consistency - as are the brush on type paints of years ago that were supposed to smooth out.

Combicolor is a breakthrough really. Some areas of my wagon still only have one coat on and you can't tell, but like everyone else, I'm waiting for this damned rain to give over. Its nice to see all the rusty seams stopped dead and an easy vehicle to wash once more.

Stringy
80-90 Mem No: 3634

Post by Stringy »

Thanks to everybody that contributed to this it has worked out ok for me. I have been gradually applying coats (rustoleum white) between the monsoons and it certainly is an improvement on what I had before. I will apply another coat when the weather gets a bit better. Really impressed with the vactan rust treatment. Excellent info here :D

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Glad you've found it useful Stringy. I certainly started something here.

Agree on the weather. Ideally you need some good hot sun to bake the paint on but this paint will flat back beautifully once you have enough layers on. and as I mentioned earlier, its fade resistant so if in a years time you're unfortunate enough to get a scratch or two, you can simply roller it over.
:lol:

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Can I just remind 80/90 members to get photos up of their rollered vans, or however far they've got. I've taken all of them so far and it would be great to see other colours other than blue or white like mine and ChickenKoop's.

Heres some more info about the magical rust treatment, Vactan:

http://www.esyte.co.uk/vactan.html

One other thing, masking tape in B&Q is MUCH better than that found in local pound shops.

woody1977
80-90 Mem No: 3077

Post by woody1977 »

i have finally got round to painting some of my van i will get some snaps on asap.