Should I be worried

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Davegrohl99
80-90 Mem No: 16802

Should I be worried

Post by Davegrohl99 »

Put new tyres on her over the weekend sprayed up the wheels and when I had it up on the lift I gave her a look around. Found a hole in the rear wishbone. Is this something I should be worried about or is a strong patch good enough to get me through a few more years. Not really up for paying €310 for a new one!!Image

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
1981 Westfalia 2.0 CU engine.
1971 Early Bay Microbus.

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Re: Should I be worried

Post by Jim San »

Whats the rest like? Rotted from the inside out, cutting all the rot out will be a much larger hole right down to the seam probably.

My preference would be to replace but i'm no welder.

£255 from BW.
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Post by jrt »

Well, if you post that on facebook and ask for advice regarding welding put yer tin hat on :lol:. I had similar in December but after a bit of poking around it opened up a bit more so got it replaced. I got two excellent used one's with new bushes off Irishkeet on here for a good price.
David.
the future is unwritten

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Yes be worried.

I just welded my tin top trailing arm, two small holes ( smaller than yours) one above and below the seam in the same place , I opened them up until metal was full thickness, cut a new piece the right shape from 3mm steel, welded it in and ground it back. I also sprayed dinatrol ( wayoil) inside and I'm going to do the same with the other, I think these arms rust inside out.

it can be done for less than a new arm but have a good go at it with a file and a wire wheel and if you have one a dremel to open the hole up so you can see how bad it really is.

Don't be shy if it''s rust and it falls away it's not doing anything structural, one of my holes started as a slight recessed dimple, it was solid but hacking at it it was brown rust right through took some grinding to remove it but brown solid rust is not structural.

Have a look all around the arm, I welded mine because that was the only rust, if it had another hole the other side I would not have bothered.

You can also buy second hand arms for around £125 each but I would not buy one that's freshly painted or ' restored' myself.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

nesty
80-90 Mem No: 4023

Post by nesty »

This was mine 2 years ago so yes be concerned, as they rust from inside out.
I went for both replacements, wasn't cheap but it's a serious job out of the way!

Holdsworth Villa2 1983 1.9 DG, 4 Speed, LPG & Petrol+underslung leisure tank

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

I patched mine for the MOT, so we could have a last trip away before restoring, then pulled the bushes out to find 1/4 of the bush housing rusted away. Invisible until i looked inside... I’d be very wary.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.