New sliding door handle rubbing paint

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mariner
80-90 Mem No: 9916

New sliding door handle rubbing paint

Post by mariner »

Hi guys. My sliding door handle snapped so bought a new one and have found the end of it is rubbing the paintwork. Now have a nice curved shape of grey that follows the path of the handle as you pull it down.

The van is registered as March 1985 so have used the later handle as suggested by all buyers I have found, it also matched the length of the original when I offered it up although the original never gave me this problem.

Is the answer to replace it with the earlier handle? Are these shorter and if my van is a late model is it going to be compatible? Any help much appreciated as at a loss as to what to do right now - have bought a second (later model) handle and found the same problem :(
1985 Super Viking with Subaru EJ22 (formerly 1.9 petrol DG)
1981 air-cooled 2.0 high top

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Re: New sliding door handle rubbing paint

Post by slowcoach »

Mine used to do that also. I replaced the handle grommet and made sure everything was in properly. Then I took the handle off and sawed about 5mm off the end with a hacksaw, the part that scrapes the paint and hooks back inward. About 9 years ago and forgot about it till you mentioned it :-) just plug the end up with some black mastic and file the corners round so they're not sharp. You never see the mod because it faces the paintwork. Maybe not the correct fix, but as I say, sorted for free and undetectable :-P
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

mariner
80-90 Mem No: 9916

Re: New sliding door handle rubbing paint

Post by mariner »

slowcoach wrote:Mine used to do that also. I replaced the handle grommet and made sure everything was in properly. Then I took the handle off and sawed about 5mm off the end with a hacksaw, the part that scrapes the paint and hooks back inward. About 9 years ago and forgot about it till you mentioned it :-) just plug the end up with some black mastic and file the corners round so they're not sharp. You never see the mod because it faces the paintwork. Maybe not the correct fix, but as I say, sorted for free and undetectable :-P

Cheers slowcoach. Was hoping to avoid that but think it’s probably the best way forward. Changed the grommet and tightened everything up yesterday to no effect so think it’s going to be out with the hacksaw. Seems a pretty obvious flaw, even in a repro! Good to know it’s not just me!
1985 Super Viking with Subaru EJ22 (formerly 1.9 petrol DG)
1981 air-cooled 2.0 high top