Where do buy your windows from?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Where do buy your windows from?

Post by Aidan »

sounds like yours is the same size overall as just the glass is in this one, I think this one is same size as caravelle glass - a lot of conversions actually used the factory glass as that was readily available and in plain glass not that expensive from VW, the only reason they used panel vans as base back then was I believe some VAT loophole that made the base vehicle cheaper to start with compared to using a kombi or caravelle as the base of the conversion; Westies were built using Kombi shells

DM164
80-90 Mem No: 17035

Post by DM164 »

Update - got the window out, not sure if it's an inner/ outer seal job as suggested as the inner skin is cut wider than the outer, pic below and then once of the other side for reference
Also a pic of the seal I took off (beading removed)Image

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
'85 Caravelle 1.9 DG Holdsworth Villa 2

DM164

Post by DM164 »

2/3Image

DM164

Post by DM164 »

3/3Image

DM164

Post by DM164 »

Dimensions of the seal as per Seals direct measurements : A(glass) - 4mm, B(panel) - 3mm tapered, Web - 6mm

They don't seem to have anything of that size on there, any other recommendations for suppliers?

D

DM164

Post by DM164 »

Finally got the windows back in, made a right pig's ear of it but hopefully it's water tight at least.

I took the glass window out from the offside rear which happened to have a curve in it. Took it to a plastic engineers shop and got two flat perspex window panels made up using the glass as a rough template.

Seals were in good condition so have reused, although if I'm being honest, I'm not sure that they were the right seals in the first place, the panel side gap is loads bigger than the panel.

Bit of rust at the bottom of the windows, some of which has fallen away and needs replacing, for now it's just bodged with extra sealant

JustKampers glazing tool snapped on me three quarters of the way round the second window, pain in the backside

One tube of arbomast autograde is probably enough to do 4 windows, I went to town with it so there's a bit of mess that needs clearing up some time soon.

Cheers for the help fellas!

Dec