Leaks

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

kentishvanman
80-90 Mem No: 875

Leaks

Post by kentishvanman »

Hi,
It is leak time.
Windscreen has decided to leak so has the sliding door window.
What has anyone used as a sealant? Has anybody used Capt Tolley as opposed to the usual mastic or whatever?
Interestingly none of the windscreen companies are interested. They wish to remove and refit. Was thinking of getting it done by 'others' as a bit short of time but it looks like it is going to be done by yours truly.
1987/8 Autosleeper, 1.9dg (Automatic) hightop. Petrol/ LPG

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: Leaks

Post by multisi »

Black flexible windscreen sealant has always worked well ,I didn't remove the screen just lifted up the edge of the rubber, put a plastic tyre lever under then put a line of sealant near the rubber then pushed the sealant under the rubber, did that all the way around . If there is water under the rubber then doing this will trap it in causing more rust, I lifted up the rubber and stuffed a small rag under to dry it out . The windscreen will come out in the future to have a new panel fitted.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

capt trollies creaping crack will only solve a tiny hairline "crack" size leak unless you reapply several times, it really good, but its not a hole filler ......
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

multisi wrote:Black flexible windscreen sealant has always worked well ,I didn't remove the screen just lifted up the edge of the rubber, put a plastic tyre lever under then put a line of sealant near the rubber then pushed the sealant under the rubber, did that all the way around . If there is water under the rubber then doing this will trap it in causing more rust, I lifted up the rubber and stuffed a small rag under to dry it out . The windscreen will come out in the future to have a new panel fitted.
I think I should do this also- is it reasonably easy to wipe off the excess sealant from the paintwork once the seal had been squished down again?
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

The black windscreen sealant wipes off with a rag dampened with white spirit, don't push down on the rubber seal , just let it settle back down by its self.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

multisi wrote:The black windscreen sealant wipes off with a rag dampened with white spirit, don't push down on the rubber seal , just let it settle back down by its self.

thanks, ill add that one onto the job list
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed