Rear panel replacement on an Autohomes camper

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

komet90
80-90 Mem No: 16622

Rear panel replacement on an Autohomes camper

Post by komet90 »

Hi

My T25 Autohomes camper rear offside lower panel and outer sill below the fridge/heater grills have rusted through, so it's time to get them replaced with new panels.

Question is, will the interior fittings (fridge, sink, cabinets, etc) need to be removed before any new panels are replaced or is it possible to get repair panels welded in without first removing the interior?

And, if the interior does need to come out, how difficult is it to remove and refit?

Anyone had experience, good or bad, in welding the rear panels with the interior left in situ?

Cheers

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Re: Rear panel replacement on an Autohomes camper

Post by maxstu »

Removal is best. Often insulation is found in this area. You dont need to see your camper being torched by a bit of over enthusiastic welding.
Its not that difficult. And there may not be the need to completely removal all cabinets. As long as welder can get inside cabinets. Carpet wall lining is a bugger. Gently heating with hairdryer may help. Take lots of photos. Look for hidden screws before pulling on a panel. And you will likely find information on here in Wiki.
And back together again

MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

Fugeh
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Fugeh »

Maxstu, that interior looks fantastic. Did you refinish the cabinetry?
88 Autosleeper Trident 1.9
Hythe, Kent.

komet90

Post by komet90 »

Thanks Maxstu. Sounds like I may have to bite the bullet and remove the cabinets, fridge, sinks (x2), heater, water tank, gas hob, seat/bed, etc! I guess at least this will allow the welding to be done from the inside instead of lap joints from the outside. :(

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

I removed all the interior and floor coverings on my Autohomes. The floor section in the vicinity of the lower vent had corroded and I had to weld in new sections.

I ditched the lower vent and welded a section in its place. That lower vent is not needed and virtually all other conversions only have one. You can also get clip on covers for the Autohomes vent and I bought mine from Rainbow Conversions but you should be able to get them elsewhere.

Shortly after completing the repairs and blocking the lower vent I ditched the 3 way fridge and bought a waeco compressor fridge which does not require any vents.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

komet90

Post by komet90 »

AngeloEvs wrote:I removed all the interior and floor coverings on my Autohomes.

Roughly how long did it take to remove the cabinets?
Is there anything in particular to watch out for when taking them out? And can the base cabinets and "wardrobe" cabinet be removed whilst leaving the high level cabinets (including the Zig unit) in place?

My cabinets and worktops are in good shape, so they will be refitted after the bodywork has been repaired.

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Fugeh wrote:Maxstu, that interior looks fantastic. Did you refinish the cabinetry?

Hello Fugeh,
No but thanks for compliment. The interior is better in photo than real life. But it is in excellent condition for 30 years. Apart from being an Auto with PAS and rare ABS, and an excellent grill :pimp , the interior made it an attractive camper to buy. I totally neglected the first rule of T25 ownership...poor bodywork is the bigger wallet eater. £4000 later on and there are still minor bits to do for a free of rust label.
MaxStu

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

komet90 wrote:
AngeloEvs wrote:I removed all the interior and floor coverings on my Autohomes.

Roughly how long did it take to remove the cabinets?
Is there anything in particular to watch out for when taking them out? And can the base cabinets and "wardrobe" cabinet be removed whilst leaving the high level cabinets (including the Zig unit) in place?

My cabinets and worktops are in good shape, so they will be refitted after the bodywork has been repaired.

Likely floor will be rotten by rusty body panels behind cabinets. If possible ask welder if sink unit can stay in place.
Its really not that difficult. Slow approach and umpteen photos is the way. Zig, fridge etc is wiring on terminal and can be unscrewed or unbolted. Gas is more a concern when reconnecting. So test with soap water or special plumbers spray before moving on to next part. Label everything then photo.
There will be issues. For instance hidden screws in side of fridge hidden by an overlapping panel from next bit. But all have been overcome by other owners. So fire away on here if stuck.
MaxStu

komet90

Post by komet90 »

maxstu wrote:But all have been overcome by other owners. So fire away on here if stuck.

Thanks Maxstu - I'll follow your advice and take plenty of photos as I go along and AngeloEvs advice on losing the lower vent. With the cabinets out it will be much easier to see where there is sound metal. I'm planning to use a combined Outer Sill and Lower Side Panel from Brickwerks and a rear quarter repair panel around the rear wheel arch.

Ant-t
80-90 Mem No: 14390

Post by Ant-t »

I removed the cabinets in my Autohomes when I replaced my outer sill, mine had old insulation between the panel cards and the outer skin. I also took the opportunity to rework the kitchen with a new 2 burner cooker and new cupboard doors to replace the old faded covered chipboard.
1983 DG Kamper 2

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

One other thing to consider. Hook up point. My off side rear panel was nasty. Why lm keeping this cut out is beyond reason! :oops: When replaced l didnt bother cutting another for hook up. I replaced cable and extended to rear of engine compartment. I now access hook up via rear flap. Make sure its totally secure if you decide this route. Last thing you need is a cable flailing about next to alternator belt and pulleys.
Luckily there a small bracket holding the PAS container and it fits snugly there

MaxStu

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Like this

Nice clean off side panel. No rust traps

MaxStu