Sliding door back edge adjustment

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Rhino77
80-90 Mem No: 16996

Sliding door back edge adjustment

Post by Rhino77 »

Hi all,

Does anyone know; which of the adjustment points would bring the back edge in to line? I've tried them all with seemingly no effect, other than to make it worse.

Problems began after I welded up the bottom of my sliding door and renewed the bearings which decided to turn to dust and ball bearings on touching them Trouble is ... now it's back on the back edge is sticking out more than it did. No matter where I seem to take up the adjustment the best I can seem to get it is nice and snug at the front but angled out at the back. It does open/close/lock but it's a good 10mm proud of the body. If I try to split the difference it just makes both sides stick out from the body. No idea what I'm doing wrong here as the sliding door on the opposite side which was much worse just adjusted up tight by doing the exact same thing as I've done with this...

Cheers :ok

Pete
'87 Caravelle C, 1.9DG

h00per
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Sliding door back edge adjustment

Post by h00per »

Sucking eggs I'm sure.

Bentleys guide suggests each time you adjust you should slacken the hinge link bolts in the rear middle hinge and the link should be pushed up and back as far as possible, tighten by hand and continuing the adjustment.
First adjusting the striker pin and plastic spacer clip in the lock plate to achieve the desired body line
Second setting height from the outside using wedge under door.
Third pull down roller carrier by the hinge link till bearing rests on rail.
Finally tightening all to 23Nm for the hinge link bolts and 50Nm for the striker plate.

Any help?
1983 1.9 DG Manual

Rhino77
80-90 Mem No: 16996

Re: Sliding door back edge adjustment

Post by Rhino77 »

Thx for that & yes it was helpful :ok - I adjusted the lock striker plate back about 5mm today and now it looks fine but, I have to give the door a bit more of a slam. No doubt there's a sweet spot which I'll find when I have a bit of spare time but for now it's loads better than it was.

I think I've sussed the adjustment out now as:

Top roller brings top of door in, but kicks the bottom out
Bottom bracket / roller allows for vertical adjustment and pulling the bottom of the door back in or out
Middle roller hinge (I think) allows for horizontal movement
And finally the striker plate allows for a snug fit when shut.

Anyway lesson learned don't mess with the T25's sliding door before making a few reference marks.
'87 Caravelle C, 1.9DG