Rear jacking point / swings arm mount

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

phinw
80-90 Mem No: 16041

Rear jacking point / swings arm mount

Post by phinw »

Hi,

Can anyone advise how the rear swing arm/jacking points are attached? I see that a replacement mount is a available from brickwerks. Are they just sat on the sill and welded around the edge and to the end of the outrigger or do you have to go in from above? There are a few repairs in old posts but most of the pictures seem to be missing!

Mine has developed a hole in the side plate by the trailing arm bolt but the sill and everything around it looks very solid. In fact, the rest of the jacking point is very solid and of a good thickness. Annoyingly it has just gone thin in this one place I’m wondering how easy it is to remove and weld a new one in place?

1988 1.9 DG

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Re: Rear jacking point / swings arm mount

Post by colinthefox »

This old thread of mine might give you some idea of how it's put together. http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... t#p8128422" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You are likely to find more rot above the jacking point inside the box section, and at the bottom of the C pillar. You have to go in through the wheel arch body panel to get at those.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

phinw

Post by phinw »

Thanks Colin. I did look at your repair. I’m hopeful, perhaps naively that what is above the JP will be in good nick and I can avoid having to go in from the top. I still need to figure out how I cut the old JP off!
1988 1.9 DG

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

Don't get involved with doing the a complete replacement , for the time just do a small weld repair and get the rest of the mount blasted to stop any more rust. Don't even bother trying to cut the bolt head off just cut around and have a small piece of thick steel welded to it. Tack weld slowly so the heat doesn't build up and melt the rubber bush.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

phinw

Post by phinw »

multisi wrote:Don't get involved with doing the a complete replacement , for the time just do a small weld repair and get the rest of the mount blasted to stop any more rust. Don't even bother trying to cut the bolt head off just cut around and have a small piece of thick steel welded to it. Tack weld slowly so the heat doesn't build up and melt the rubber bush.

Hi. This solution did cross my mind but I wasn’t sure it was possible. I appreciate that doing this will probably involve cutting the bolt and replacing the bush too. It’s a lot of work. We’re using the van a lot at the moment so this is a bit of a pain the backside. In a ideal world when the money is available I’d like to do this job properly with time when it can be done in a pals workshop rather than on the drive. For now the rest of the mount is pretty solid and I’m recticent to open a can of rust worms! . Do you reckon this is do-able then? I was worried about melting the bush.
1988 1.9 DG

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

You could make a plate with a hole that fits over the bolt head then a few tack welds to hold it, grind the outer face back to clean metal and see what it looks like, don't worry about the shape of the bolt head , grind it round then fit the plate over . Clean up the rest of the mount to stop the rust spreading. you can check the condition of the inside of the jacking point by removing the recessed plastic bung and put your little pinky ( finger ) in there.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

phinw

Post by phinw »

As a temporary fix it will probably do. I think the bolt head will probably have to be tacked to the plate to make sure it’s secure as the metal around the top left 1/4 of the bolt it pretty thin. There is some rust behind the bung but I need to shove the camera in to see how bad. No holes anywhere in the outside.
1988 1.9 DG