Rust treatment recommendations?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

adburns
80-90 Mem No: 0

Rust treatment recommendations?

Post by adburns »

Hi,

I have a couple of rusty areas on my van that I want to treat before they get worse (wheel arch, jack point). Can anyone recommend the best products to do this please?
Have been looking at this http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Bo ... ass_-_Rust" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; on the wiki but I don't if it's a bit out of date?

Thanks

patrickpawsey
80-90 Mem No: 16721

Re: Rust treatment recommendations?

Post by patrickpawsey »

I'm in a similar situation. There are some rusty bits on the rear seams, the corner of the tailgate and behind the front bumper.

What I've done is roughly scrape back any loose flaky bits paint over and soak them with Owatrol oil. This is something I used on our steel narrowboat, and actually the thing that made me reckon we good handle getting a T25, with it's concomitant rusty bits.

I actually just asked on another thread whether the use of owatrol (an oil based thing that penetrates, drives or water and air (co-polymerises with oxygen)) and leaves a flexible but tough coating precludes the use of vactan later. It does, but also in my experience lasts a very long time.

Our narrowboat was painted 6 years ago and still looks mint.

If I was doing big work, taking metal out to replace with new etc, I might look at using something like vactan on bare metal, but for a quick fix that puts actually likely to slow the rust down to basically zero progress without having to undertake major surgery, I would use Owatrol without a second thought.

The bits I took back to bare metal of still shiney grey metal three months later, and O expect them to remain so until I finally get some gloss paint in pastel Weiss!

However, for the underbody, you might want something more stone chip resistant, and I don't have experience of that, but putting Owatrol or something similar but more under body targeted will be a whole lot better than nothing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
1990 Autohomes Komet HiTop Camper
1.9 DG on Pierburg 2e3, 4 speed

patrickpawsey
80-90 Mem No: 16721

Post by patrickpawsey »

I can't find any evidence of my handiwork on my phone but I'll take some photos later.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
1990 Autohomes Komet HiTop Camper
1.9 DG on Pierburg 2e3, 4 speed

paperhouselad
80-90 Mem No: 10768

Post by paperhouselad »

Vactan is very good I've found, if you get to the same side as the corrosion it will more or less stop it, available online, got mine of ebay, its not expensive either.