Fibre glass High top roof

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

vdubcurious
80-90 Mem No: 0

Fibre glass High top roof

Post by vdubcurious »

Hi its me again,

I have been very busy removing the old hessian lining from the interior high top roof as it was sagging, dirty and falling apart not to mention full of dust and rust dust. It is my intention to re-line it with 4 way stretch carpet...is this advisable?? I am open to any suggestions please :D Also the roof is caked in old glue, some black mold dots and general horribleness. Any tips for what I can use to clean it and make it smoother before re-lining. Are there any good products out there which make life easier? Would it be worth painting it with a protective paint underneath prior to lining?

Really appreciate all your advice

Many thanks

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: Fibre glass High top roof

Post by silverbullet »

I have recently re-insulated my tintop roof with self-adhesive foil faced 10mm foam.
Used the same on the works van and our runabout, its very effective at keeping heat out at this time of year and damps noise well for very little weight. £20/m² and worth every penny, a friend uses it on his classic race cars and recommended it to me.
Search ebay for quality_car_covers but iirc they only sell this stuff at shows, so you'll have to find out where they will be and when.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

You could try acetone for removing old glue - just use nail polish remover to test a bit first then buy a gallon off ebay if it works. ( it usually does on old glues from the 70s and 80s used for lining)
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

vdubcurious

Post by vdubcurious »

Good Evening,

I discovered the rain has caused areas of wetness inside my van today. At the top left hand side of the tailgate entrance, in the drivers cabin on the ground under the carpet and right panels near door, also areas of the high top were wet too.

Today I really wanted to sell my van off as a project this is not going at all well for me... had I have been wild camping I would have woken up saturated .... :run

I feel it is a pig in a poke and I am out of my depth

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

dont despair!
the cab floor is either the window screen seal , or the washer jets, the tailgate may well be the seal , the hightop roof can be painted externally to seal ....
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Swebby
80-90 Mem No: 16589

Post by Swebby »

I put some Vaseline around the washer jets and that seems to have worked. That Captain Tolleys creeping crack cure might help with the window seal from what I have read.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
1987 1.9 DG pop-top

vdubcurious

Post by vdubcurious »

Thank you Mocki and Swebby,

Very reassuring, lets hope its just these issues 8) I will follow this up today as I have a week off work to work on my van,

There is never a dull moment is there lol

Have a lovely day

Swebby
80-90 Mem No: 16589

Post by Swebby »

vdubcurious wrote: There is never a dull moment is there lol

Ain't that the truth!

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
1987 1.9 DG pop-top

Fugeh

Post by Fugeh »

Mocki wrote:dont despair!
the cab floor is either the window screen seal , or the washer jets, the tailgate may well be the seal , the hightop roof can be painted externally to seal ....

I have exactly the same issues with my high top, you're not alone :)
88 Autosleeper Trident 1.9
Hythe, Kent.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

If your high top lining is full of "dust and rust" I would suggest that the steel roof is perforated in places as you don't get rust from fibreglass!
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:If your high top lining is full of "dust and rust" I would suggest that the steel roof is perforated in places as you don't get rust from fibreglass!

Like this, or maybe not so bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

kentishvanman
80-90 Mem No: 875

Post by kentishvanman »

vdubcurious wrote:Good Evening,

Today I really wanted to sell my van off as a project this is not going at all well for me... had I have been wild camping I would have woken up saturated .... :run

I feel it is a pig in a poke and I am out of my depth

I think most of us have felt like this at sometime or other. The highs can be high and the lows can be way down.
It is part of being a T3 owner.
1987/8 Autosleeper, 1.9dg (Automatic) hightop. Petrol/ LPG

vdubcurious

Post by vdubcurious »

Crikey at the rust on that van...I haven't had anything quite like that!! the rust I think came from the supportive bar??? I m still trying to work out what the bar is as it arches across the fibre glass roof and is snapped in the middle. Oh well on a positive i bought a new whistling kettle today ....lets hope that doesn't rust too lol

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

I've a poptop and the leaks keep coming back..drives me crazy. Can't get rid despite some recent attempts.

Few years ago I bought a whistling kettle, spent some time engraving it with a woodland scene with a blade, came out really nice. Gave it as a gift to my wife who was very pleased! Then we used it - whistle doesn't work, and it dribbles water down the spout all over grrrr! Oh well ;-)
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

vdubcurious

Post by vdubcurious »

LOL that is so funny, wonderful that you engraved a whistling kettle for your wife but hilarious that even this caused problems....in my minds eye, my van is beach hut themed and I am cooking breakfast overlooking a misty loch in Scotland with music coming from my Roberts radio...in reality my van is parked up on my drive with a sea breeze air freshener and a loch type flood in the drivers area... still laughing about your kettle... :rofl