Rear hatch lock seal

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

asterix_the_gaul
80-90 Mem No: 16935

Rear hatch lock seal

Post by asterix_the_gaul »

Hi, so I replaced my very rusty leaking rear hatch with a good used one and swopped over the lock, however it appears the new hatch is off a later T25 so the lock hole is bigger, do I just need the lock seal for the later models or is it more complicated?
Autohomes CI Kamper 2.0 CU air-cooled

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: Rear hatch lock seal

Post by multisi »

You need the later lock and seal.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

early van tailgate lock has a bush and a seal, late van locks only had a seal so were probably bigger diameter anyway, I don't know the measurements so get a late seal and try it, if it doesn't work you will have to get a late lock, though you may be able to transfer over the cylinder/tumblers to keep it same key, I've never worked on early locks so don't know

asterix_the_gaul

Been on brickwerks checking out pictures Of The rear locks, liked the idea of later lock and swopping over barrel but does not look like that would be possible they look fundamentally different so 45 quid for the newer style lock and then end up with different keys is one solution or try to fabricate something to make the late larger hole the same size as early hole. Hmm.

100leelee
80-90 Mem No: 15962

Post by 100leelee »

asterix_the_gaul wrote:Been on brickwerks checking out pictures Of The rear locks, liked the idea of later lock and swopping over barrel but does not look like that would be possible they look fundamentally different so 45 quid for the newer style lock and then end up with different keys is one solution or try to fabricate something to make the late larger hole the same size as early hole. Hmm.

If you acquire some spare keys you can easily key your existing key to the new lock...
Trial and error, but straightforward enough, just need to strip the lock down.

craigy345
80-90 Mem No: 13029

Post by craigy345 »

The late and early tailgate lock is different.
As you know the early tailgate has a smaller diameter lock to the later tailgate.

However!!!
The whilst the barrel (plug - inner part that rotates with the key) of the lock is also different between the early and late.
Both types use the same key profile.
This means you can remove the wafers from one lock and put them in the other - so you have only one key.
VW T25 1.6TD (JX) 1987 Westfalia Club Joker

asterix_the_gaul

This would seem an elegant solution but beyond my skill level at present, I need to find some How To videos.. Or a tame locksmith..

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

Brickwerks now have an alternative late lock £25
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon