Order of new panel replacement.

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

rob1927
80-90 Mem No: 11027

Order of new panel replacement.

Post by rob1927 »

Hello all could any one advise on the following?

I’m about to start replacing all the panels on the side of the van! Could anyone advise on where to start first? I don’t want to remove all the lot at once and have no lines to work the new panels in to. Ideally I’d like to do it a section at a time so I’m not off the road too long, is this possible?

The numbers on the photo.

1 Front wheel arch and step.
2 B post.
3 Centre side panel.
4 Outer sill.
5 Rear wheel arch and upper panel(I’ll have to use a Klokker!
6 Rear corner.

A lot to do! All the windows are now repaired and painted(rustoleum and roller)

‘Only’ the bottom half to do now!

Any advice would be appreciated, cheers.

Rob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Proud owner of my 1.6TD JX '89 Caravelle, other wise known as -'that which is usually broke'.

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: Order of new panel replacement.

Post by multisi »

It doesn't look that bad, replacing all the panels is a massive job . Blasting out the seams and re finish is what I would do .
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

rob1927

Post by rob1927 »

Cheers, I did that about three years ago, it just comes back, the whole of the bottom of the van was done before I bought it, bottom half was resprayed and it quickly returned. Rot out, new metal in is what I’m looking to do. It seems a shame really the panels have only gone on the seams but I don’t see any other way around it.
Proud owner of my 1.6TD JX '89 Caravelle, other wise known as -'that which is usually broke'.

adie89
80-90 Mem No: 11532

Post by adie89 »

I’ve done all that in patches if you look on thread in my signature. Not to be a downer but number 2, be prepared to do the inner and outer b pillar.
I repaired a lot of panels because of cost an some pattern panels don’t fit like original panels at all, they have no seams and are one piece because the OE panels aren’t available
Greta: 85’ LHD 2.5L Subaru 14in Syncro
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=165773

rob1927

Post by rob1927 »

Cheers Adie, I’ll have a good look at your thread. I’m gonna have to postpone for a short while as the van just failed it’s mot blowing heavily at the manifold and the down pipe disintegrated. So as it stands it’s in the back street with the turbo off and manifold. It looks like I’m going to have to replace the brakes as well, so the body work is on the back burner at least for a short while.
Thanks again.