Does anyone know.....

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

shepster
80-90 Mem No: 1342

Does anyone know.....

Post by shepster »

.........if all factory sliding doors have the same size windows?

I've and early van, 1984, with early sliding door, it was originally a panel van so has the aftermarket windows fitted.

I've now sourced an early factory window sliding door to replace my rotten one but it came without glass, which my window obviously won't fit.

I'm looking at maybe getting an opening/sliding window but want to know if all factory windows are the same, I know SA one's are bigger but is there any difference between early and late one's?

Cheers in advance.
2.1 DJ running on carb and LPG.

NicBeeee
80-90 Mem No: 8608

Re: Does anyone know.....

Post by NicBeeee »

Ive got a sliding window from a late door laying around somewhere, could do with a slap of paint but is serviceable, I have the rubber too its yours for free if you want it as I am having a clear out
“A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.” ― Spike Milligan

1988 1.9 DG

shepster

Post by shepster »

That's a lovely offer, cheers.

Could you measure it for me when you get chance as I've a sneaky feeling later sliding door windows were a bit smaller.

No rush, whenever you get a minute.

Regards.

NicBeeee
80-90 Mem No: 8608

Post by NicBeeee »

No worries

106.5 wide
42.8 high

Pretty odd sizes, these are the dimensions of the complete window without the rubber
“A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.” ― Spike Milligan

1988 1.9 DG

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

I think early sliding door glass is same as opposite side 428mm x 1084mm
late sliding door glass is definitely shorter than opposite 428mm x 1052mm
change over 1st Sept 1984 build date

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

The factory slider door window for early van is 1073 x 419. Late is 1043 x 419 that's the complete size before the rubber is fitted.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

shepster

Post by shepster »

Thanks lads, as stated they are different so unfortunately your kind offer of a window won't be of any use.

So, all I need is a middle factory window from any year or an early slider specific?

Thanks again.

Ant-t
80-90 Mem No: 14390

Post by Ant-t »

I think you'll need an early slider specific window. I replaced my middle, non slider side, window last year and it was quite a bit shorter than my early sliding door window. I couldn't get a sliding window to fit my early sliding door, they were all too short, so I just replaced the glass in the end.
1983 DG Kamper 2

shepster

Post by shepster »

Ant-t wrote:I think you'll need an early slider specific window. I replaced my middle, non slider side, window last year and it was quite a bit shorter than my early sliding door window. I couldn't get a sliding window to fit my early sliding door, they were all too short, so I just replaced the glass in the end.

The plot thickens, all adverts I see for Middle windows say they fit any non-slider side 80-92 and early sliding doors?

Has your van got factory windows all round then?

So what you're saying is your early van middle window (opposite slider) is shorter than the sliding door side?

Because mine is a converted panel van I can't compare the Two sides.

If that's the case then I'll need to be very careful, much appreciated.

Ant-t
80-90 Mem No: 14390

Post by Ant-t »

Yes my early van has factory windows and the middle, none slider, window is definitely smaller. Bought a sliding window for my slider and it was too short.
1983 DG Kamper 2

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

Ant-t wrote:Yes my early van has factory windows and the middle, none slider, window is definitely smaller. Bought a sliding window for my slider and it was too short.
Your van isn't a factory window van if the window opposite the sliding door is smaller than the sliding door window. The pre 85 van middle windows are the same size both sides, the later van has a smaller sliding door window. So if an owner of an early rhd factory window van needs a sliding door window they need either a window from an early rhd sliding door or a left side window from any year of a lhd van because that will always be the larger window. Remember you cant use a sliding window from the right side of a van because the glass and the window catch will be the wrong way .
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

shepster

Post by shepster »

multisi wrote:
Ant-t wrote:Yes my early van has factory windows and the middle, none slider, window is definitely smaller. Bought a sliding window for my slider and it was too short.
Your van isn't a factory window van if the window opposite the sliding door is smaller than the sliding door window. The pre 85 van middle windows are the same size both sides, the later van has a smaller sliding door window. So if an owner of an early rhd factory window van needs a sliding door window they need either a window from an early rhd sliding door or a left side window from any year of a lhd van because that will always be the larger window. Remember you cant use a sliding window from the right side of a van because the glass and the window catch will be the wrong way .

That's what I was led to believe, cheers.