New headlining - shame it doesn't fit!

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Wychall
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 9841

New headlining - shame it doesn't fit!

Post by Wychall »

As my bus is fresh out of the paint shop, I decided to treat her to a new headlining. I did a bit of asking around (and googling) and decided to go with Newton Commercial for a headlining made in velour cloth. Unfortunately, I didn't factor for the 6 week turn round on my order so was left twiddling my thumbs.

2 days before the Bank Holiday it arrived. Yippee! Grab the missus and let's get working. First problem is when I find that the pockets for the cross rods have been fully stitched, no where for the rod to go through. Out comes the stanley knife, and a needle and thread to strengthen the stitches afterwards. Now the rods fit and up goes the lining. All looks good until I get to the back where the extension pieces to cover the D posts have been sewn on backwards. They angle forwards instead of backwards, as in the photo below. Now out comes the trusty hand powered Singer sewing machine of 1911 vintage to sew them back on correctly. Finally, all is looking good. Just that all the alterations have taken so long that it will have to wait until next weekend. (I won't mention that I broke the windscreen in removing it!)

I contacted Newton Commercial about the problems but their only offer was to arrange for it to be returned to them for rectification. They wouldn't even consider a donation to my daughter's mental health fundraiser as recompense. Most likely, in case others wanted recompense for shoddy workmanship as well. They even tried to blame me for having a South African vehicle!

https://www.facebook.com/donate/7017435 ... /?sfnsn=mo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll post further photos once it is completed.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
South African 1991 2.5i Microbus - now sadly rehomed to pay for a Melco EMT16X Embroidery Machine.

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Re: New headlining - shame it doesn't fit!

Post by Jim San »

I'd be pretty miffed also. That is pretty shoddy. Makes you wonder why it wasn't checked to a master pattern to make sure the bits are on the right way.
I'll be going for one for mine - one of these days - so will keep this in mind
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'