Standard seat recline mechanism

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

T25Convert
80-90 Mem No: 7819

Standard seat recline mechanism

Post by T25Convert »

For long and boring reasons I'd like top be able to get my standard seats to recline further forwards and backwards.

Before I start stripping down the seats to investigate what makes the seat stop and the most forward and rearward setting, do we have any experts on the recline mechanism?

Might save me some wasted time if its really not feasible!

Been looking at Chrysler grand voyager second row seats (as per the thread on the Samba) but would rather stick with the seats I have if I can....
RIP - George - 1.9DG '85 AutoSleeper Trident - rusted away

George Second - 1.9DG '89 Caravelle

TheDocmeister
80-90 Mem No: 15421

Re: Standard seat recline mechanism

Post by TheDocmeister »

Just found this and thought of you :lol:

[url]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... 238428[url]

There's a pic on the 6th post that might help give you an idea. Apologies if the link doesn't do the blue clicky thing, I'm on my daughter's tablet...
1982 2.0 Aircooled CI Autohomes Kamper

T25Convert
80-90 Mem No: 7819

Post by T25Convert »

Thanks for that I will have a read.

I was also taken by the dodge caravan seats (same as the chysler grand voyager in the UK) that a group of them on the Samba were installing.....
RIP - George - 1.9DG '85 AutoSleeper Trident - rusted away

George Second - 1.9DG '89 Caravelle

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

the original seats have very limited tilt options, just 3 or is it 4 positions which aren't very incrementally different

Florence the Komet
80-90 Mem No: 15792

Post by Florence the Komet »

Can anyone point me to guidance for fixing a defunct tilt/recline mechanism?

I don’t know if there was variance between the styles but these are I believe early caravelle captains seat (non-adjustable arm rests).

I would have thought this would have come up before but this thread is the closest I’ve found. The above samba link is the only place I’ve found a pic of the mechanism, but it’s not enough detail re repairing the recliner to give me confidence to take the thing apart.

Problem: The recliner latch often does not engage when you pull it: the latch moves, but most of the time does not recline the seat back. Is it possible something just needs a clean/grease? Also, there is an annoying movement to the seat back, in that it has about an inch of travel in the backrest, regardless of whether the lever is depressed.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?!

Thanks all :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1989 WBX Petrol 2.1 DJ 5-speed

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

Are you saying both front seats have this problem ?
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Florence the Komet

No, sorry this is just a fault with the driver’s side seat. These are my second pair of seats and I only have this issue with this one seat: the back rest has acquired quite a bit of (forward-backward) travel/play in it, and the lever to operate the recline function hardly ever engages.
Any idea of a fix?!

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

Take the left side black plastic cover off to check the clamp near the bottom is in place first. Would be best to take the seat apart if you cant see anything out of place,use the passenger seat for a drivers seat while you are working on the drivers.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

Florence the Komet wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 09:14 No, sorry this is just a fault with the driver’s side seat. These are my second pair of seats and I only have this issue with this one seat: the back rest has acquired quite a bit of (forward-backward) travel/play in it, and the lever to operate the recline function hardly ever engages.
Any idea of a fix?!

the recline latch is spring loaded and pivots, check the spring is in place and not stretched and the latch is free

davidoft1
Trader

Post by davidoft1 »

T25Convert wrote: 11 Apr 2019, 10:42 For long and boring reasons I'd like top be able to get my standard seats to recline further forwards and backwards.

Before I start stripping down the seats to investigate what makes the seat stop and the most forward and rearward setting, do we have any experts on the recline mechanism?

Might save me some wasted time if its really not feasible!

Been looking at Chrysler grand voyager second row seats (as per the thread on the Samba) but would rather stick with the seats I have if I can....
the forward and back recline is limited by the seat side part of the mechanism, you would have to modify it to get further adjustment , i think you would get more 

Florence the Komet

davidoft1 wrote:
Florence the Komet wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 09:14 No, sorry this is just a fault with the driver’s side seat. These are my second pair of seats and I only have this issue with this one seat: the back rest has acquired quite a bit of (forward-backward) travel/play in it, and the lever to operate the recline function hardly ever engages.
Any idea of a fix?!

the recline latch is spring loaded and pivots, check the spring is in place and not stretched and the latch is free

Makes sense, thanks David. Yes ok that sounds like something I can try take apart and at least try diagnose… I may be back with photos!

Florence the Komet

Update #1: I can indeed see the spring, which appears to be attached at both ends, but can’t get the side plate off for a good look yet as I need a larger Alan key…

Florence the Komet

A possible culprit for the annoying fore -aft backrest travel could be the bolt that I can see as per pic - there’s a silver bolt on both sides of the seat, and I can see that they are lose and slide up and down when the backrest slips. To tighten I’ll need to first get the side plate off. Are these bolts a legit part of this mechanism? They look like a homemade fix that’s worked loose…

davidoft1
Trader

Post by davidoft1 »

Florence the Komet wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 19:37 A possible culprit for the annoying fore -aft backrest travel could be the bolt that I can see as per pic - there’s a silver bolt on both sides of the seat, and I can see that they are lose and slide up and down when the backrest slips. To tighten I’ll need to first get the side plate off. Are these bolts a legit part of this mechanism? They look like a homemade fix that’s worked loose…

The bolts not standard, it needs to be a bit lose to allow the mechanism to move

Florence the Komet

Hmm that’s good to know, thanks David. Well, it speaks to a long standing issue, but is helpful for me to know anyway. I’ll update once I’ve got a proper set of alan keys!